Good Friday and Easter Saturday in Portneuf


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Portneuf
April 4th 2015
Published: April 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

It's 12.49 on 4th April. I think I left off halfway into Thursday, so I'll begin by briefly going through what we did the latter half of that day.
As I think I said, it had been snowing all morning and in the afternoon, when we set out to Donnacona to visit the shops and cheese factory, it showed no signs of stopping. We drove there via the more rural, country roads that passed dozens of milk farms, each with a triplet of massive silos and several barns usually in varied states of dilapidation. The view was actually pretty bleak, a flat, white country with such low cloud the horizon couldn't really be made out.
We did a quick food shop, then headed to the local Portneuf cheese shop, which sold a whole variety of different dairy goods - and bought a selection back home to have after dinner. Before we ate, Rosie, Kate and I went for a walk through Judie and Ted's large field, then looped back round behind the house. After dinner, the rest of the evening was spent watching TV, until we all headed up to bed around 11.
Yesterday, or Friday, we agreed to go back to Quebec City to do a little more sightseeing. So, after a lunch of soup and cheese & crackers, we headed out. Judie and Ted gave us a tour around all the major sights in Quebec - the Plains of Abraham on which a battle was fought between the French and English (I think), Le Chateau on the hill, the boardwalk looking over to the huge island in the middle of the St Laurent river and the little cobbled streets of the Old Town.
Once home we headed out for another wander before having chilli con carne for dinner, then headed upstairs early to read for a few hours.
This morning we were up at the usual time, and again the snow was falling in earnest. By the time we were up, the snow had probably just about piled up as much as it had melted in the relatively clement weather yesterday. Apparently we're to get 6 inches or so today. The morning, because of the snow which gets you just as soaked as heavy rain, we did some house work. We hoovered around the whole house, which gets a fair amount of dirt and detritus trodden in each day by us all bringing in wood for the fire, added to by Bezoar's incessant malting.
Currently I'm sitting on my bed writing this, and waiting for the bell to tell us lunch is ready. I was going to give a little more information on Judie and Ted in this post, but I've already written a fair amount so perhaps I'll save that for a sparser entry. I believe tomorrow we're going with Judie to the local English Church for a bi-lingual service, which should be interesting, then heading back for an Easter lunch with some of Judie's family who live locally.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.207s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb