Wwoof wwoof!


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Timmins
October 8th 2010
Published: October 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

So, two weeks have past because we are lazy, but it coincidently means that we have more to talk about. Here goes...
So, during our last two weeks in Toronto, we managed to cram in quite a few things! 
One of the days we woke up early to see a live radio performance in Toronto's main square. We were having breakfast in the centre of Toronto, being serenaded three rows away from Dallas Green (of City and Colour and Alexisonfire). It couldn't have been more perfect! We carried on to get the train for a day trip to Toronto zoo. As it was a working weekday, the zoo seemed as if it was privately opened for us, and a couple of Irishmen - completely deserted. Much more interesting than the average English zoo, we finally saw grizzly bears (safe behind glass), polar bears, moose, tapirs, cougars and lynx etc... However, we're still waiting to see one in the wild out here, rather than behind bars.
The next day, we visited the Art Gallery of Ontario. It was nice to go round an art gallery, and there were some famous Canadian painter's work that were interesting to see. Edd and I were more impressed by the modern and contemporary sections. There was an exhibition on Julian Schnabel, the artist and director (Diving Bell and The Butterfly), and some other good pieces. It was a nice relaxing day.
We also fitted in a trip to the Royal Ontario Museum, wandered around the stuffed animals, greeted the dinosaurs, enjoyed the fake bat cave, fooled around in medieval clothing - the usual museum antics. It was made even more enjoyable by the Friday night discount, and the Tim Horton's ice-caps consumed previously.
At the weekend, after a night at Liam Sanagan's, the co-lead singer of First Rate People, and creator of LUM (meaning we were a little tired and hung over), Jimmy took us to our first Canadian baseball game. We stereotypically sat with Nachos and sweet potato fries in our supporting baseball caps, to watch the Blue Jays play the Boston Oreals. We managed to follow the rules okay, and enjoyed watching the Blue Jays win, considering their reputation for losing, and also the fact that their symbol fronted the hats that we were wearing.
To end our stay in Toronto, we made the effort to get to Niagara Falls, and it was without a doubt worth it. We were blessed with the weather, and lucky to actually see two rainbows beneath 'Rainbow Bridge' connecting Niagara to New York. The falls were as impressive as you'd imagine, and we had a lot of fun being tourists that day. We paid the necessary price to ride 'The Maid of The Mist', and looked the part in our blue ponchos. Its a shame how touristy the town of Niagara has become, but we gave in and contributed by spending money in the arcades for the sake of a plastic snake finger puppet. Anyway, we're really glad to be able to say that we came to Canada and saw the falls. We couldn't not have really.
So, we ended the stay in Toronto with a goodbye meal in the Lakeview diner, and a night of music, pumpkin pie, wine and frolics on the beloved porch of Harrison street. 
Now for phase two... 
We met Noreen Daigle, one of our Wwoof hosts, and our, so to speak, 'mother host' for the next month, in a car park in Toronto. We got to know her before arriving, as we travelled North on an eight our journey in her blue van. We made necessary stops for gas, and food, but the journey seemed to go quickly, especially with the Ipad scrabble app! We finally arrived in Val Gagne, east of Timmins, and it was great to be out of the city, although we were sad to leave the friends we had made. The land is flat everywhere, and the winds blow across wildly. We arrived, and properly introduced ourselves to Noreen and her husband, Regis. The lovely couple functioning off what seems like purely coffee and cigarettes, in their mid 50's, made us feel very welcome. Notes all around the house to guide us on where to put things, and where not to put things keeps us constantly amused, and their love for folk music is nice as well. Noreen is an ex singer in a four part harmony group with her sisters, so she joins in with us on old classics (or, we join in with her!). We have got to know 'Big Bob' well, a close friend of theirs who is round everyday - he may as well be our third host! It would seem he has taken a shining to us, and brings us chocolate milkshake and butter tarts when he comes around.
We spend our days moving, sorting, piling and chopping wood. We are dreaming of wood. A few days ago we started to paint a greenhouse black, that they have recently built, and will finish that this week. We are storing the wood in a big shed in preparation for the Canadian winter, and 'weed-wacking' the grass around the farm. It's not an official farm, as there is no livestock at the moment - the turkeys are now in the freezer, the poor things. However, the cows and the late born calfs of the neighbouring farms are all over the surrounding land. 
We spend our evenings playing cards, wooden board games and writing and playing music. There is no television, but we havn't watched T.V for two months now, and don't miss it at all. We watch the occasional film on Edd's Ipad, so that keeps the TV section of our brains stimulated... If there is one?!
We have eaten nice food here too. We had a pork hock soup, made with all home-grown vegetables, and even the pig was from up the road!
There's not much else to say at the moment. The weather is dry, but the winds are cold, and rain/snow is expected next week.
We are thinking of perhaps changing our plans, and leaving this place at the end of next week to fit in more farms to see, but where to we are not yet sure of.
We will keep y'all updated!
We are starting to miss everyone at home now, but we are keeping busy to keep the blues at bay.
Speak soon!
Rube and Edd X

Advertisement



9th October 2010

Thats funny, I also often dream with wood! You are starting to miss everyone at home now? Charming! We've been missing you from the off! Haha just kiddin really glad you guys are well. Hopefully speak to you both at the weekend. Grahamx P.S. Does 'Big Bob' wear a black tophat and drive a horse drawn cart with a cage on the back? If he does I'd be a wee bit wary the next time he offers you one of those tasty tarts!xxx
12th October 2010

yeha
doubt I'll put money on myself winning arm wrestling competion with you guys,youll be returning with biceps like pop eye !!i'm imagining you around the campfire doing renditions of michelle shockeds album in the bleak mid winter.(a fav album of helens )hugs bugs shez

Tot: 0.247s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1003s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb