Going to Manitoba


Advertisement
Published: July 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

This is just a short message with a few highlights and several pictures. We took the northern route through Ontario going from North Bay to Sault St. Marie along the northern coast of Lake Huron and then around approximately half the perimeter of Lake Superior to the north around to Thunder Bay. Amazing views of the lakes. I always knew they were big, but seeming them just amazes you with their size. The drive from Sault St. Marie to Thunder Bay is beautiful with many stretches very near the lake shore. We are now in a campground just west of Vermillion Bay, about 80 miles east of the Manitoba border. We leave tomorrow for Winnipeg. We are in a small campground right on Crystal Lake and went kayaking today. The campground is almost empty - weather has been so bad here with rain almost every day for last 3 months that camping is way down. According to people at one campground American travelers are way down this year attributed to the passport situation. We think it may also have something to do with gas prices, but it has made it easy to find spaces in campgrounds. The Canada Day Weekend is the only time things were tight.

Had a fun experience at the campground in Spragge on the Lake Huron coast. Our campground was hosting a workshop for a square dance club from Sudbury, ONT. and the Saturday night session was open to the public so we went to watch. Had a great time watching them dance and visiting with the people. We got to participate in the last dance of the evening and they gave us the names of 3 clubs in Las Vegas in case we want to join. I better start shopping for starched petticoats!!

Some quick stats:

We have driven almost 6000 miles so far.
We are at a latitude of 49 degrees and 51 minutes, most northern point so far. Thought we might make 50 degrees, but don't think we will.
We can now secure everything inside, hookup the trailer and pack the bikes and kayaks in less than 30 minutes, much quicker than when we started.
We have been in a pattern of a day with rain alternated with 1 day of sun during the last 2 weeks. Just broke that record with 2 sunny days in a row.

Au Revoir, David and Barb




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.3s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0891s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb