Butterfly exhibit at Carleton University


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Ottawa
October 6th 2015
Published: October 6th 2015
Edit Blog Post

If you're like me you can remember when summers were all the more enjoyable because of the many varieties of butterflies that used to frequent our gardens and pathways. You probably lament the fact that you don't see many of them anymore, and wish it were possible once again to enjoy their gentle beauty.

In Ottawa you have the opportunity to see a great variety of them at Carleton University's annual butterfly show (free!) for 10 days in October. When you walk into the greenhouse among 1,300 butterflies representing 41 species from around the world you are struck by the awesome variety of colours and shapes. There are even a few (mostly nocturnal) moths! No wonder the show attracts about 10,000 visitors every year.

It is fun and challenging to follow the butterflies flitting from flower to flower while trying to photograph them. After a whole afternoon of doing just that, I came away with a couple of dozen photos: I hope you enjoy viewing them as much as I enjoyed taking them.

The exhibition: http://carleton.ca/biology/annual-butterfly-show

Butterflies vs moths: https://en.wikipedia,org/wiki/comparison-of-butterflies-and-moths

The university: http://Carleton.ca/


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



6th October 2015

Wonderful Collection
What will you write about next Fred. I love going to butterfly pavillions and how great to know there is one right on campus!!!! They are so beautiful and well captured in your photos. I can never decide which ones I like best... but have always been partial to the Luna moth. Thanks for colouring my world today.

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0219s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb