The RCMP Sunset Ceremony


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Ottawa
August 25th 2014
Published: August 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The most iconic Canadian image is that of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer in scarlet tunic guarding the nation’s most important sites or adding colour to significant events. Yes, “Mounties” do perform these duties, but they are first and foremost Canada’s national police force. A carefully chosen and highly trained elite component from within the Force makes up the world-renowned Musical Ride. Most are non-riders prior to equestrian training with the RCMP; however, once they complete the courses of instruction, they not only become riders but ambassadors of goodwill. Members remain with the Musical Ride for three years, which ensures an annual rotation of approximately one third of them.



Today the Musical Ride is performed by a full troop of thirty-two riders and horses, plus the Superintendent in charge. It consists of a variety of intricate figures and cavalry drill choreographed to music. Demanding utmost control and coordination, these movements are performed by individual horses and riders, in two's, four's and eight's at the trot and at the canter. Months of training, practice, and many kilometres/miles of riding around the school’s grounds make horse and rider one. The horses appear not only in the Musical Ride but in parades and special events, and must be able to travel and adapt to as many as 50 different environments per year, with hours of petting and photo-taking by spectators. On tour there are 36 riders, 36 horses, a ferrier, a technical production manager and 3 NCOs.



For more than a century the RCMP have performed the Musical Ride in public, and as the result of increasing demand to see more of their activities and capabilities, other demonstrations have been added over the past two decades. In Canada’s capital, Ottawa, what is now called the Sunset Ceremony is performed free at the RCMP stables of the Canadian Police College on five consecutive evenings just before Canada Day. More information:



http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/mr-ce/sunset-crepuscule-eng.htm .


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0231s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb