Great Ocean Road to Melbourne


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Ottawa
February 27th 2014
Published: February 27th 2014
Edit Blog Post

G'day mates;

Well our weather had cooled to 18C for our journey along the Great Ocean Road but that didn't slow us down not even the 15 minutes of rain.

Our first stop was Cheese World in Allansford, to sample a bit of local cheese. Then we started the Great Ocean Road (it's 243 km long and was built by returning soldiers between 1919-1932 to honour those who didn't make it home) ... where we seen rugged coastline and beautiful aqua water and white sand, but too rough to swim but great for viewing. From the many lookouts along the road, especially in our first 27 km were the most spectacular views I have ever seen... hard to believe they have survived the weather and the pounding seas - many of the first ships of settlers to arrive were shipwrecked on the rugged rocks and never made it to land. My camera got the real workout on this three hour road adventure. The most photographed 12 Apostles are a natural wonder as well as the Loch Ard Gorge and London Bridge... sadly I can only post a couple of the photos.

The roads at times we're very twisted to say the least. But the view was well worth the drive.

Speaking of driving we arrived in Melbourne at 6pm and after a LITTLE mistake - which you can ask Fred about we made it to our city centre hotel... driving here is like nothing we have ever experienced. Still another day in Melbourne before we move along. The land art in Melbourne is really something to see... the canvas is always changing. A very neat city with it's mix of old and new buildings.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb