last day in the never-ending province


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Ottawa
July 24th 2006
Published: July 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

terry fox memorial- half way pointterry fox memorial- half way pointterry fox memorial- half way point

We are halfway across the country now, no point in turning back I guess.
So long, farewell Ontario! We have just about completed the journey across Ontario with a lovely sendoff weekend at home in Dunrobin. Coincidentally we even overlapped the same weekend that our grandfather was visiting which was great timing! It was a nice break to canoe and play some beach volleyball for a day rather than bike and after a tour of the capital, Dan now knows more about the Canadian Captial than he does about his own capital in Washington.
Let's backtrack to Thunder Bay where I last wrote;
Thanks to Fiona and Jeff for showing us an awesome time there, on her birthday even! Finish pancakes were all that they were cracked up to be and Fiona got us VIP treatment at her bar for the Blues Fest party which was a blast. If you are ever in Thunder Bay I would recommend touring Kakabecca Falls where the voyageurs used to portage up the steep river banks with 100lbs on their backs. If they only knew there is now a highway there now... The Mt McKay lookout is spectacular too, although the way down on a roadbike is a little trecherous because of the steepness and potholes, but the view
sexy legs competitionsexy legs competitionsexy legs competition

Who would you vote for? bug bite extrodinaire, or raspberry bush attack/flat tire residue?
is worth it!
Shortly after Thunder Bay we came across the Terry Fox monument which was calculated to be halfway by previous cyclists so we celebrtated, but since we are not exactly sure where halfway is for us, we decided to make the celebration last all week! Not that we really do anything more exciting... but it's the thought that counts!
The next notable event was the "big stuff" that we ran into. There was first the 3 large geese in Wawa, then the big looney in Echo Bay not to be outdone by the infamous nickel in Sudbury. Whoever thought up the idea of impractically large likenesses of common objects to attract tourists must have known excatly how bored tourists get along the endless highway 17 through Ontario! We took pictures, I admit it.
DId some hiking in Superior Provincial Park which soon degraded into blueberry picking at the top of a hill when the "lookout" turned out to be completely fogged in, even more so than the Halifax airport, for my east coast friends to relate to.
Speaking of East coast friends, we crossed paths with fellow tourer, Wayne Groszko, who is doing the tour the other direction
swim in high fallsswim in high fallsswim in high falls

Leanne is in bliss in the cool water
by himself but, get this, on a tandem bicycle! If you are interested in joining him, he is looking for a back seat driver. His tour is for huntington's disease and his progess can be followed at www.huntingtontour.ca. Now whenever we have a head wind we think of Wayne and are greatful for his behalf. What a nut he is! in the most underogatory sense possible that is.
Just before Sudbury we ran into another bike tourer, Alex, who happened to be going our way to Ottawa, so we extended our train for a few days and enjoyed the best windblock who I have ever ridden behind! thanks Alex. He is 6ft 2 and a monster on the bike so no wind gets past him! He also opened my eyes to a whole new level of all-you-can-eat. Wow, I think he almost put a Chinese Buffet house out of business singlehandedly. We will miss him, sure you don't want to continue the journey Alex?
Our experience in Deep River was unparalled and we have unanimously decided that it should be labeled friendliest city in Canada. Not that other places have not been friendly, but in the 15 minutes that were
best sunrise so farbest sunrise so farbest sunrise so far

early one morning
were in Deep River we were approached at least 5 times by people offering us lawns to rest on, bathrooms to use, places to swim, directions, and even free blueberries! while we were picking blueberries even! incredible! That brings us up to Dunrobin where we have just been spoiled for 2 days at home. Leanne packed her things up for traveling to Denmark and Dan and I took a tour of the touristy sites of Ottawa. All this kooshy treatment and home cooking is making it tough to leave, but we must be on the road again so alas I must go to bed and rest up for the ride tomorrow morn. Nite!



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

tandem with Waynetandem with Wayne
tandem with Wayne

Dan on the back seat of Wayne's tandem bike.
Alex at the buffet houseAlex at the buffet house
Alex at the buffet house

THis is only his second plate, he had 3 like this AND 3 plates of dessert!
beat by the heatbeat by the heat
beat by the heat

So this is what summer in Southern Ontario is all about, eh?


Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb