October 25, Quebec to Ontario


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Ottawa
October 25th 2023
Published: October 26th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Rumor has it that today’s steps numbered 16500 (David did more, going up and down to the car just now). Boy, my tootsies need a rest.

So we left Brigitte’s lovely little ski place around 9 am (oh yes, he did climbing up and down those steps more than I did too – but then he’s a golfer and is used to it!). We headed to Lac Simon, half way to Ottawa, as that was touted as a birding site. It was drizzling when we arrived, but the walk was sheltered in large pines and oaks. Just saw some hooded mergansers (everything looks quite different out of breeding colors, but it was an amazing place – obviously a very popular camping place. The end of the lake, as with so many in Quebec, is sandy, with a gently sloping bottom. Don’t know if these sites were for tents or RVs, but they had electric hookups. What was most fascinating were the “pret-a-camping” sites, which we got to see up close this time. Heavy plastic covers on top of sturdy wooden platforms, with 4 double beds as bunks, small fridge, food prep area. Nice deck and side awning. You must do the cooking outside tho there may have been a microwave, etc. no stove or burners. Cushie!

We ate our salads in the car hoping to see some birds.

Then drove the other hour to Ottawa. It was interesting – hills and farms until just north of the city, which was the suburb of Gatineau, on the Quebec side of the Ottawa River. Cross the bridge and it’s Ontario downtown. The office buildings aren’t that tall, perhaps 8-10 stories but intermixed with that are 3 story mansions and the Houses of Parliament and court houses, etc. A very walkable place with lots of resident in side streets in houses and blocks of flats. And boy did we walk. Rather than go via the streets to see the Parliament buildings, we found the Rideau Canal, which has walking/bike paths on both sides at the street level, and on both sides at the water level. Built in the 1830s, it connected Ottawa to the St. Lawrence. Many many locks. And in the winter they turn it into the world’s longest ice skating “rink.” It is a Unesco Historical site and actually has its route in good shape, unlike most other canals of that day. 22 lock stations now, from the 47 original, 202 KM, ready by 1832, was THE way to move material because there were rapids in the St. Lawrence. However, by 1849, those rapids had been tamed, and that was the more direct route. However, because the roads were so bad in these backwater areas, it was important for locals until WWI. After that it was mostly for its recreational value. You can still boat (or canoe) the entire way.

We wandered around – A LOT! The only thing we couldn’t see was the river-view of the parliament buildings that David remembered from 1968 – because the path on the riverside was full of construction equipment for all the reno they are doing. Very interesting circular eternal flame monument with different years in front. I researched it – it was installed to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the confederation of the provinces. No wonder some were like 1857 and duplicates. The confusing one was 1999 – had to look that up. It’s an Inuit province carved out of the Northwest Territory. The entire renovation of Parliament hill is $3Billion (of course that’s Canadian, a snip).

We had to include lots of photos of the pretty leaves here, as in the rest of our trip they were pretty much past it, due to the winds and rain of the past 2 weeks.

We found a low-carb choice of foods at a Greek restaurant. Very tasty. I think I had 3 cups of salad at least! AND we walked forever to get there. And now I’m peckish again. Oh dear. Tomorrow I hope to rest my feet as it’s a long drive to Niagara Falls

What have we learned on our trip? These are very cosmopolitan cities, lots of people from lots of backgrounds. There were very few beggers or homeless – at least that we saw – in any of the cities. Some were begging on the Metro in Montreal – which is said virtually without a T. Everyone has been very friendly. And everyone says we have to check out the Gaspe Peninsula in September for the leaves and views, and Algonquin National Park (N of Toronto) in May to see the moose because they come out on the roads to lick the salt! Well, maybe early May 2024?

Do look carefully at the photo of "locals with pink hair" as that included the dog! Although one might have been purple.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.524s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 71; dbt: 0.1782s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb