Day Thirteen- June 26, 2010 Tampa to Montreal Tour


Advertisement
Published: July 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Friendly help when we need it mostFriendly help when we need it mostFriendly help when we need it most

starting to rain and we need to change the tire. Thank you to Paul Chatson, Walas Funeral Home
Next stop is Niagara-on-the-Lakes, by way of Toronto. I mentioned the G8 and G20 Summits being conducted in Toronto at this time. Well, apparently as we were driving the bypass, there were some major riots going on in downtown Toronto. Once again we are very fortunate to take the road less travelled and stay on the peaceful side of the streets.

All roads are not without some challenges. As we drove towards Niagara, we had cars passing us, honking, and yelling that our wheel looked loose. We pulled over, and saw that the rim was bent; the tire tube developed a bubble, and the illusion of a wobble. We pull over to a funeral home, and they generously offer the use of their garage to change the tire. In less than an hour we are off and running again. Thank you Paul Chatson and Walas Funeral Home in Brighton Ontario!

Once we arrive in the historic village of Niagara-on-the-Lakes we are amazed at how busy the town is, and how many vineyards there are to visit. Many close at 6:00 pm, and it is now around 5:00pm, and we don't have a hotel reservation yet. We go downtown and
Walas Funeral HomeWalas Funeral HomeWalas Funeral Home

Brighton, Ontario
stop at the Chamber of Commerce for help. They take care of everything, letting us know that it is a holiday weekend and no reservations to be found. And yet luck is always on our side, and we found one Bed & Breakfast next door to the only all organic vineyard in town.

We had a wonderful visit, and managed to squeeze in wine tastings at 5 vineyards! When you drive up in a 1930 Packard, people open their doors! Thank you to Neil Holden at Pillitteri Estates Winery for the excellent recommendations for dinner (and excellent wine)!

I highly recommend visiting these vineyards, and taste the wines we bought from each:
Frogpond Farm
Jackson-Triggs Niagara Estate Winery
Hillebrand Winery
Pillitteri Estates Winery
Stratus Vineyards
Peller Estates Winery

We came away with some great wines that I am sure you would enjoy. And all vineyards ship to your door!
One that was noteworthy is Frogpond Farm- an all organic oecological wine!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Country Willows B&BCountry Willows B&B
Country Willows B&B

settled in and ready for a night on the town with the vineyars.


13th August 2010
good advice from the wine steward

Thanks!
Thank you once again for having visited Pillitteri Estates Winery. You kept your word to send me a link for the blog; I appreciate that, too :-)

Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 18; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0963s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb