Niagara Falls: Worth the Trip!


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Niagara Falls
May 18th 2014
Published: May 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

This was my first time visiting Niagara Falls, after having heard about it all my life and seeing the Marilyn Monroe/Joseph Cotton film "Niagara" more than once. The 2014 version of Niagara Falls is more inviting than the 1950's film version. I designed the trip so I wouldn't have to do any driving (other than to and from the local transportation center.) I took a comfortable Concord Trailways bus from Portland, ME to Boston, flew Jet Blue to Buffalo, and used the "Airbus" van service from the Buffalo airport to my hotel. Everything was on time and without a hitch. My suite at the Embassy Suites was clean, comfortable and had a view of the Falls. Having a kitchenette for a 4 night stay is more than convenient, almost essential, as I prefer eating in my room to dining out. Being a vegetarian, I found it surprising that neither the hotel nor the TGI Friday's located in the hotel had even one vegetarian meal on their dinner menus. I found a "coffee shop" called "the Famous" only a block or two away that has veggie burgers and other vegetarian choices...their prices were good and the food excellent. It is located inside the big Fallsview Casino hotel complex, along with several other restaurants, shops and a food court. They served the best fresh fruit salad I have ever had, anywhere.

The first glimpse of the Falls was from the road before getting to the hotel. The driver stopped and suggested we all get out and take a look, while he had a cigarette! The Falls looked smaller than I had imagined, but we were at a distance and up higher, later after checking in I walked down to the Falls and experienced the constant thundering sounds and the mist from the Horseshoe Falls that rises up thickly and higher than the river and drifts across to the walkway and road that runs alongside the river. Another day I would find time to sit in the sun near enough to hear the Falls and meditate.

The first day I planned to take the "WEGO" bus ($7.00 for a 24-hour pass) to the Niagara Falls History Museum. I had a map showing three different color bus routes and there were bus stops marked "WEGO" on the streets, with either red line, blue line or green line designations on the signs. From the map I couldn't tell which way to go to find the right color line, so I asked directions of a valet along the way...he didn't seem to know either but looked on the map and pointed me...in the wrong direction as it turned out! It was a pleasant morning and I like to walk, so I walked a long way, asked directions again of someone who didn't know, and eventually found the right bus stop with a welcoming bench. When I looked before sitting I saw it was covered with large drops of water from the rain the night before. I only had a tissue to dry it, but I did what I could and then sat on my raincoat to wait, whiling away the time by comparing two maps I had acquired to try to figure out where I was and where I was going. I was deep within the maps when the bus pulled up and the friendly driver said "I hate to interrupt you..." and away we went. I was the only one on the bus.

After that first day I was able to understand the WEGO system and take another route to the Butterfly Conservatory, I walked to the Skylon Tower for some excellent photo opportunities and on the last cold, windy and rainy afternoon enjoyed the National Geographic IMAX Movie depicting the history, myths and miracles of the Falls. I met friendly people all along the way and enjoyed the adventure from start to finish!

Advertisement



18th May 2014

Congratulations -we're so delighted
Hi Pat, I received your excellent blog while here at Pat's home in Avon, CT. We are thrilled, ecstatic and overjoyed that you have had such a great trip. You go girl!!!! Love, Carolyn & Pat

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0566s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb