Dryberry Lake 2023 Canoe Trip


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Kenora
September 12th 2023
Published: September 22nd 2023
Edit Blog Post

We skipped doing a canoe trip last year due to a variety of issues (covid, dock, boat lifts, funerals etc) so this year there were thoughts about going back to Dryberry Lake after our return from Ireland. However there were lots of dock and tree issues in June and we typically don’t do canoe trips in early summer due to mosquitos and flies. Our objective then became to do a four day trip at the end of August.



Our inspiration to canoe Dryberry Lake originally came from Andy Miles back in 2020. Sadly Andy passed away last May. We also had Roy Ward on two of our trips but it also seems his overnight wilderness camping career is over. The list of people available for travel adventures grows ever shorter. However this year we were able to recruit Guy and Colleen Dufault and they were great companions.



Our final packing was done on Sunday August 27th with the intention of meeting Guy and Colleen the next morning at the Nite Hawk Cafe parking lot at 9.00 AM.The Dryberry road is quite challenging so we decided to use our 4WD Dodge truck (it has 10 inches of clearance) The Dufaults have an Outback which has 8 inches of clearance.



We left West Hawk at 9.00 and experienced the joys of construction delays on the TCH.(Four lane construction near border plus random rock blasting along the bypass) It is about 110 Km to the landing, including 6 km on Camp Road 314. This last part is slow going, taking about 30 minutes. We were on the water at 1150.



The weather was perfect and paddling the channel is always a treat. After a bit of flailing around we managed to find the correct exit from the first section and continued on up the channel. Part way along there is a group of islands with a decent campsite. It would be a good option for late arrivals and/or departures.



It is quite enjoyable to paddle alongside another couple in such calm waters- lots of reminiscing about Manitoba Naturalists Society (MNS) ski trips and other canoe adventures. Just before the opening into the big lake (Northwest Bay part) we stopped at a small beach to stretch our legs etc. Our fingers are crossed for the good campsite to be vacant
The perfect campsiteThe perfect campsiteThe perfect campsite

dinner preparation
on the first island.



Crossing to the island can be tricky if there is a wind but today the lake was pretty calm.We went down the south side of the island only to discover that our favourite spot was occupied. However there seemed to be another camp site at the west end of the island so we paddled back along the north side and landed at the alternative spot. It turned out to be a pretty good site with a huge rock fireplace, a rock pizza oven and some good places for the tents. However there was no thunder box (toilet)



Our camp was pretty much set up by 5.00 and so everyone got out the comfy chairs and enjoyed their libations of choice. (I had Irish Whiskey) We toasted absent friends as the sun started to set.

Gear alert- Last year I purchased a Flextail tiny pump to blow up our Thermarest air mattresses and it is certainly preferable to blowing them up by mouth ( also keeps moisture out of the mattress) It also can used to deflate the mattress. The new versions also have a light.



Tonight's
Evening viewEvening viewEvening view

Huge rocks in front of site
dinner was stew a la Jan. We had a visit from the east end campers (Bob Groff) who indicated they had a big rain event Saturday night and were drying out their gear. David Young also came over later and advised they would be leaving the site in the morning.

Guy brought a MSR stove which hooks up directly to a Sigg bottle of camp fuel (white gas, naptha etc) This is an environmentally friendly option as it doesn't create disposable fuel cylinders. I brought a Coleman one burner stove which uses the same fuel. However we both probably should have tested our stoves before the trip. The MSR stove treated us to a spectacular flameout due to leaking gas at the tank connection. The end result was a slightly scorched owner and a non operable stove. Later in the trip my Coleman started leaking from the pressure valve but we were still able to use it-I think maybe the gasket had dried out....

After dinner we had a nice fire and everyone was in bed at 9.00. Tent sleeping has its moments but we did get to listen to the sounds of rain and loons. There was
Day 2 mini-tourDay 2 mini-tourDay 2 mini-tour

Fish and firewood
also a close to full moon.

The next morning we were up about 730 and prepared omelette in a bag breakfasts plus scones with honey. We were keen to move to the other end of the island but decided to walk over and verify there was a vacancy before we broke camp. The island is fairly small but the trail crosses some challenging elevations.

The other party includes 5 people in 3 kayaks and one canoe-Bob Groff and Dave Young plus Roy Smith, Mark Miles and Peter Barbour. When Guy and I got there they were pretty much packed and loaded for their trip to the south end of the lake. Their plan was to camp at the Camp Stevens group site.



We did a fast pack-up and shifted our gear to the prime site. It is a near perfect location with a table, fireplace , great tent sites, and the aforementioned toilet box. (gas mask advised)



After tent set up and a light lunch, we set out on a mini exploration/fishing trip. This lake has lake trout, bass and muskies, but our focus was on bass (there are lots) Trolling along as we paddled, the ever reliable jig spinner with a white twister tail worked well catching 6 fish. (we kept one for appetizers) The other part of our mission was the collection of firewood for the evening fire.



The rock shelf in front of the camp site is an excellent place to enjoy happy hour in our camp chairs. The bug tent was not needed except for gear storage.



Guy and Colleen were on dinner duty (except for the bass snacks which I did) They did an excellent chicken dish with lots of vegetables, peanuts and a great sauce.



We had a very bright full moon tonight with lots of photo opportunities.



Our campfire discussion was about past glory days of MNS ski and canoe trips. There was talk of doing another Dryberry Lake canoe trip next year with more MNS alumni. This is not a difficult trip given the absence of portages but sleeping on the ground has its challenges given our waning flexibility. We all agreed it is worth the effort. Our sleep was disturbed about 4.00 AM by a helicopter heading east down the channel.
Huge cliffsHuge cliffsHuge cliffs

Typical shoreline
Within 30 minutes or so it went back over us heading west. We assume there was a medical emergency at a fishing lodge???



The next day the plan was to do a traverse of Northwest Bay including a stop at the beach. We had slotted a fish dinner into the menu for today and the main ingredient needed to be caught and cleaned. The firewood supply also needed replenishment.



Time for another rant about back country toilet etiquette. The Manitoba government leaves it up to campers to dispose of their waste and the Caddy Lake canoe route seems to prove that this doesn't work. Several campsites on Dryberry have thunder boxes with toilet seats. After a busy summer they can get a bit full with the "mountain" getting close to the seat - A handy stick allows for re-distribution and the box approach is still much better than the free form disposal program used by Manitoba Parks. Another great approach used by BC Parks is the composting toilet which has a supply of cedar shavings to promote natural waste breakdown. The BC toilets are odour free.



This was another excellent weather
Evening viewEvening viewEvening view

Full moon
day with virtually no wind. The Dufault breakfast of scrambled eggs and sausages was excellent. Within minutes of setting off , fish were being caught so it appeared that the emergency freeze dried food ration would not be needed.



Our route today took us along the south shore of northwest bay in and out of the various inlets with a planned destination of a big sand beach. We picked up quite a bit of good firewood along the way plus half a dozen bass. Upon arrival, we had a quick dip (the water is quite cool and refreshing) There is a table there so with the assistance of a swarm of wasps, I cleaned our fish. (luckily no stings) We then did a fast paddle back down the lake to camp. Keeping cleaned fish cool is a bit challenging without ice but packing them in a plastic bag and wrapped in a wet towel seems to work. The preferred method of backcountry fish waste disposal is to sink the remains in deep water.



This was a great day (about 5 hours on the water) and we enjoyed happy hour before cooking our dinner. There
Evening campfireEvening campfireEvening campfire

Break through equipment-the Helix chair
was some unrest about not having beer on the trip, given the lack of concern about cargo weight- I expect changes to be made on the packing list for next year.



Everyone was able to remain awake until about 9.00 around the fire.



During the night we had a fairly strong and noisy wind but it went down by morning. After a quick bannock breakfast, we were on the water by 9.00. The wind gave us a bit of fun before we got to the channel but then it was an easy paddle. The boats were loaded by 12.00 and we then drove to the Silver Fox Restaurant on Granite Lake (old Pinewood) where we had a mediocre brunch (but there was beer)

This was an excellent trip- looking forward to next year.

As a followup, I have been trying to list all the wilderness canoe/kayak trips taken so far-i think the number is 31. ( I will post an update to this blog when I have a firm list)


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Day 3 dinnerDay 3 dinner
Day 3 dinner

Fish cleaning a challenge due to wasps
The beachThe beach
The beach

About 3 km from camp
Outback loadedOutback loaded
Outback loaded

Loaded up by noon
One more trip with the truckOne more trip with the truck
One more trip with the truck

End of a great trip


Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0634s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb