Day 6 - The Falls


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Kakabeka Falls
July 29th 2011
Published: July 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

A travel adventure has no substitute. It is the ultimate experience, your one big opportunity for flair. As we were about to leave our campsite this morning a car drove up honking its horn over and over again like crazy. It turned out to be mom's good friend Penny (Sylvia's sister) coming over for a visit. She decided to drive out from Thunder Bay just to visit us because she couldn't find us when she came at 11:00 P.M. last night. We had a drink with her and shared some stories before she had to go back to town for work. Then we decided to go into Thunder Bay ourselves. Dad called his Uncle Harold and set up a dinner date for tomorrow night with him and Grandma's sister, Dad's auntie, Stella (Mary was going to Ottawa first thing tomorrow morning) We went shopping for a bit then decided to go to Burger King for a bite to eat. After our food we concurred on the idea of going to see the actual falls in Kakabeka so we piled in the car and headed off. Penny met us in the parking lot and we followed a boarded pathway to the falls. When we reached them the sight was spectacular! The falls were 39 feet, only 13 feet smaller than Niagara. We watch the falling water for a while and took a few pictures and then drove across a bridge over the falls to visit the camp ground and visitor's center. We bought some sweet smelling bug spray and a few keepsakes before we headed up to the beach. At the beach we dipped our feet into the cold water that leads to the falls. Then Dad and I saw a red squirrel scurry up a tree, and I successfully called it back down. Finally the 6 of us picked Saskatoon berries to make a fresh pie and headed back to the trailer.
When we got the trailer Dad set up a fire so that everyone could roast smokies and marshmallows. Penny stayed over for quite some time, and we called it a night shortly after, leaving the door open just incase Sylvia and Jolene did decide to drop in and visit us.


Additional photos below
Photos: 75, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb