A frozen moment between summers


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Belleville
February 9th 2007
Published: February 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

This story begins at a turning point: the end of 3 decades of boat-building and the final preparations for a journey to sea/see.

After a summer of test runs in fresh water in 2006, our ocean queen has to be patient, enduring one more icy blast of winter. There's still lots to do to get her ready for her voyage abroad in the summer of 2007. Tension mounts as the weeks click by. We check our lists, wondering how to move faster with frozen fingers and brains in hibernation.

But isn't this what Canadians do?... moan about the weather; especially when there's an Artic air mass hovering over us like a hyperactive polar bear mother.

Hurry up and wait. There's lots to do; too much it seems so we'll stop wishing for spring and get back to our chores. All we have to do is: finish the boat, sell the earthly possessions, store the keepsakes, cancel the utilites, get a TravelBlog (check), get new glasses, update the address book, store our gear, launch our ladyship, kiss loved ones on both cheeks and remaining calm... beam off to the next reality.

Trying not to panic, we remind ourselves that some things just can't be achieved in a linear manner. To reach our goal of sailing away, we know very well that we have to... bring on the magic!



Advertisement



9th February 2007

the sea
That has long been my own dream. To get a ship, pack up and say goodbye to everything. I hope everything works out well for you.
10th February 2007

Frozen fingers eh?
Very soon the ice will breakup and you you guys will start on the first leg of your dream. If the scientists are correct in their calculations on global warming, your present port may be ice free when you return from your world tour. Take as much stuff to keep you safe as you can carry. Remember, you can always throw things away if there not required but you can't use stuff you don't take! Keep in touch you old blogger ..........
13th February 2007

Dreams come true
Still lots to do...yes...but lots already done! Are you going to mention the time it has taken to build this boat from only a dream and sheets of metal and skillful hands? Love your first note and the poem, your second.

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb