Digby ... Scallop Capital of the World!


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia » Digby
July 31st 2017
Published: August 9th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Thank goodness Dad is an early bird. He woke us up at 4a so we were in the car by 5a. Thank goodness as we forgot about the one hour timezone difference in Atlantic Canada. We paid for 2p ferry crossing and cars are supposed to arrive by 1p. Dad’s early wakeup allowed us to not miss ferry because we missed timezone adjustment! Arrived in Saint John, NB at 1p AT. Refuelled car and joined on of 5 lanes of cars waiting to board the ferry. We weren’t sure which of the 5 lanes to join so we opted for the shortest one beside the lane at the very left reserved for large trucks. Well it seems they board the ferry from lane one … and we were in lane five! It took about 20 minutes to board, but once we were safely in the belly of the ferry, we exited the car (this is mandatory) and went upstairs where there is a very nice lounge area – movies, a café, comfortable quads of seats – and the top level had a bar and view of the scenery as the ferry made its steady 2.5 hour passage to Digby, NS.

Arrived in Digby, NS and checked into Digby Pines Resort which was only 4 min drive from ferry terminal. Picturesque resort which reminded Ann of the one in the movie Dirty Dancing. Tour bus that was on the ferry was also in the parking lot. Ann managed to swoop in before the passengers unloaded and we were comfortably in our rooms in short order.

Freshened up and headed out to Shoreline Restaurant which received very high reviews on TripAdvisor as the best place to eat in Digby. But our experience was different. We did sit outside and the view was nice, but it was very busy and packed so service was lacking. Sophie though waitress was very mean. She kind was (sarcastic but with a smile in a passive aggressive way) And the food … we wouldn’t order the fish and chips again. They were greasy, and flavourless, despite adding tons of salt. The poutine though was pretty good. The scallops, what Digby is famous for, did live up to its reputation as they were very good. But in all honesty, we eat Digby scallops in Ontario and we weren’t necessarily wowed by eating them in Digby. And the price wasn’t really any cheaper in Digby than in Ontario. Not sure if it’s because of the 15% provincial tax… Oh well. We enjoyed the ambiance, the view and each others’ company which made up for the food.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb