GREENLAND TO NEWFOUNDLAND


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Newfoundland & Labrador
September 5th 2017
Published: September 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Well we have been at sea for 3 days now. After we left Prince Christian sound we went along the southern coast of Greenland and then turned north into the canal that went to Narsarsuaq. We went into the canal and saw the landing strip that had been built by the US government for WWII. Icebergs were floating in the canal and some people went on a boat ride to see the icebergs up close. When they returned to the ship we headed south for Newfoundland. After a day at sea we approached the norther tip of Newfoundand. We were supposed to have a stop at L'Anse aux Meadows. However the swells were too big for them to safely drop off the tenders. So the Captain announced that he was sorry but he was cancelling the port. I am sure that the 40 people that live in L'Anse aux Meadows were more disappointed than us.

We then sailed on for another day until we reached Corner Brook a town of about 40,000 on the southern tip of Newfoundland. Dennis and I decided that we would try to disembark here, The ships personnel helped me get his wheelchair down the gang plank . Then I wheeled him to the waiting bus where they had saved the first seat for him. This was to be a 3 hour drive around Newfoundland. The drive was very nice. We stopped first at Lark Harbor. There was a small church there that had a crafts table set up in its community room. We bought cloudberry jam and bakeapple jam. Dennis also got a very handsome baseball hat.We then set off again to Bottle Cove. There several people hiked down to the beach. By now it had started raining. We then stopped to talk to a fisherman in the harbor. By now it was raining in earnest. We then came back to the ship. It had stopped raining when we came to the end of the trip. However we had walked no further than 30-40 feet when it started pouring. Dennis and I had on our rain jackets but it was still no fun running in the rain pushing a wheelchair. When we got to the gangplank Lawrence, a tall Indian Security guard came down and pulled Dennis to the top. We were both greatful to Lawrence.

I think the outing was good for Dennis because he was getting cabin fever. We now are headed for Quebec but we can only go 10 knots/hour because the Canadian government has issued a warning to all ships not to go faster than that because of the right whales in the vicinity of the St. Lawrence Gulf. Recently they have found 10 right whales dead in this area and they don;t now what's killing them. Autopsies are pending. Tomorrow afternoon we reach Quebec.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.235s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb