Little Bay Island


Advertisement
Published: July 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We only traveled 12 miles today even though it is a perfect day. We are less than 60 miles from our home port of Lewisporte. We are tied to the public wharf at Little Bay Island in Notre Dame Bay. This unique community offers showers, ice and snacks payable on the honour system. It is $4.00 dollars a night to stay and $3.00 per shower; good deal. There is also a laundry facility here.

Friends we met in Florida live here during the summer so we are stopped here for a few days to visit.

What a scenic little spot. There are boardwalks leading to the top of the mountain with lookouts offering a spectacular view of the area. Picnic tables and benches are available so one can stop and have a picnic. We went to the top of Pole Hill today. Charlene from Edna's Boarding House drove us there, she has been a wealth of information. Pole Hill gets it's name from the original communication station for the community. We also walked up to their water reservoir where we passed the abandoned store. Our friends have a cottage they rent out and she is also full for the season. The boarding house is also doing well. There is a ferry that arrives several times a day that services the island.

The Provincial government is offering residents here a relocation package as is the case in several other communities throughout Newfoundland. The idea is to save money by withdrawing ferry services, power and water. Although some of these packages seem like a good deal to some, quite a few residents are opposed to them. People have invested quite a bit of money renovating their homes and don’t wish to live anywhere else. I understand why, it is so beautiful and peaceful.

The fish plant is closed, there are no stores or any type of business yet if it was promoted this could really be a great tourist destination.

It is finally hot, we have sailed into summer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb