2018 Newfoundland and Labrador


Advertisement
Published: July 2nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

So good to be back in Canada! A long drive from Northeast Harbor Maine to North Sydney Nova Scotia. A very windy morning waiting for the ferry to Port-aux-Basque but we met a couple on a BMW motorcycle and talked of travel of course. A 7 hour ride on the MV Highlander. In spite of the wind and lumpy sea, not a bad passage and we got a chance to watch some of the World Cup! The next morning the wind had dropped some, but can you believe it, it was at our back all the way to our first campsite. And of course about 20 miles into the ride we saw that iconic northern animal. A large cow moose stood at the edge of the forest watching us.

We were hesitant pulling into the Wishing Well Campground. 18 or so RV’s and the sound of generators! No electricity or WiFi, and a sign to boil the water. What a great Campground. The owners, an old retired couple were so friendly! Not to worry about water, it was gravity fed and came directly from a spring so not to worry about boiling. They ran a generator twice a day for hot water so we could shower and there was a pavilion where the locals gathered in the evening around a large fire. This was offered up to us to use for cooking and storing our bikes, even for our tent! Good thing we declined it for the tent. The locals gathered every evening and partied till 1 or 2 in the morning! What a wonderful group though, mostly retired fisherman That welcomed us into their group.

We had planned 1 night but the heavens opened up, incredible rain that lasted into the night. Lucky for that pavilion! One of the fisherman invited us to sleep in his RV for the evening and cooked us great breakfast. A nice ride that morning with wind continuing at our back. Another basic campsite, but this time no place to hide from weather and the water did have to be boiled. So of course once again it rained like crazy. A pretty campsite on a lake, but we decided to bail. Broke camp in rain and had a long cold ride. We rode into Corner Brook and took a room at the Grenfell University to dry out and do laundry.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.307s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb