Day 1 to 3 St. John's to Clarenville, NL


Advertisement
Published: August 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Well all, day 1 of 273 has begun! Hank was on the events team and I was a Medal Bearer shuttle driver. Jake was our host. Rick Hansen started off the relay at Cape Spear. He made 2 more appearances on Day 1. We started on what is called a Spider. We did a small side segmant of the relay on Signal Hill. Jake our host got to be the first Medal Bearer. He was followed by 3 more to take it down the hill. Jake and I carried on back to our hotel where we had our next meeting point for our next bunch of Medal Bearers. All went well. Jake can talk the talk! Alot of fun was had doing our Firework Dance! We attended the End of Day Ceremony where Rick wowed he crowd! Day 1 was a success! All that was missing was the large crowds. We are confident that this will grow day by day as this relay snowballs.
Day 2 Hank was still on the events team and I was driving Command. This is the vehicle that follows directly behind the Medal Bearer. Our Operations manager Otto, runs the show as I drive along. This is the position to be to get the full experience! Rick made more appearances today.
Day 3 Rick Hansens Birthday! I was driving command again and Hank was on Misty. Misty is the name of our bike that escorts the Medal Bearer. He had a great time interacting with the Medal Bearer and the public. I was following directly behind watching him flirt with all the cute ladies! He also attempted the Pants Dance on the bike! By the way, there is music booming out from the pace vehicle in front of the Medal Bearers. Our police escorts that we had from Day 1, sadly departed from us in Holyrood. This became RCMP jurisdiction. St. Johns finest were fabulous! Great job and so much fun! Heading into Clarenville, we were escorted by police and the fire department. What a great parade! A fantastic end of day ceremony with Rick again! We got to perform our Firework dance again, which is now going to be a given at end of day! Tommorrow we hit Glovertown and Gander. Until then, Gudnigh!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Hank on MistyHank on Misty
Hank on Misty

Safety First!
Fire Department joins in!Fire Department joins in!
Fire Department joins in!

My view from Command
Sonny and the kidsSonny and the kids
Sonny and the kids

Sonny is our endurance medal bearer. He carries the medal for longer stretches where we have no other Medal Bearers. Sonny rides a hand cycle.


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0316s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb