St. Anthony, Newfoundland


Advertisement
Published: July 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

A lovely morning on the northern tip of Newfoundland dodging bergy bits. It was so calm since the light wind was out of the southwest. We saw our fist huge and up close icebergs, I am adding pictures.

Very rigged mountainous shoreline with green moss covering the rock. Little villages are nestled in coves and they have internet! Nice to have both cell and internet at the dock.

The boys on the wharf in St. Anthony helped us dock and were quite welcoming. There is a Tim Horton in this town and a laundry mat. It was actually warm but now it is raining and the wind has veered to the north so it is cool. We have electricity and there is a shower close by, this must be paradise.

There is a large fleet of fishing boats here because of a dispute with the shrimp prices and quotas. Apparently they are getting ready to go out because they are busy loading ice now.

We set off for the laundry mat with our little cart but a chap pulled over and offered us a ride. Good thing, it would have been quite a walk. We took a cab back since it was raining.

We will most likely stay for an extra day to climb the mountain with the lighthouse at the point and a steep boardwalk up to the top. The weather is perfect for carrying on but we need a break, at least the first mate does.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.239s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 10; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb