Following the Viking Trail, Day 6 continued


Advertisement
Published: July 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

L'Anse aux Meadows to St. Anthony


IcebergIcebergIceberg

This iceberg was far away and almost invisible, but with a bit of computer magic it's here for all to see.
June 27 continued, Icebergs and Dr. Grenfell

Visiting L'Anse aux Meadows fulfilled a long time dream for me, but the day wasn't over. Just minutes down the road, we saw icebergs! Mark, our guide, noted that it may take them three years to travel here from Greenland.

Now if the puffins would just show up, my check list would be complete.
Actually, we were about a week too early as the puffins aren't coming in to nest yet.

Once we reached St. Anthony we visited the Grenfell Museum and learned about the work of medical missionary Dr. Wilfred Grenfell.

Born in 1865 in a small coastal town in the north of England, Grenfell entered the London Hospital Medical School in 1883.

While there he heard the American evangelist, Dwight L. Moody, an event which changed him forever as he committed his life to Christ.

The Royal National Mission to Deep Sea Fishermen sent Grenfell to Newfoundland in 1892 to improve the plight of coastal inhabitants and fishermen.

That mission began in earnest in 1893 when he recruited two nurses and two doctors for hospitals at Indian Harbor and later opened cottage hospitals along
IcebergIcebergIceberg

This one was much closer
the coast of Labrador.

After observing the marginal living conditions of many people in Labrador and the Newfoundland coasts, the mission expanded greatly from its initial mandate to one of developing schools, an orphanage, cooperatives, industrial work projects and social work.

Grenfell needed to find a source of fabric for the traditional hooked rugs which might use burlap bags or any available scrap of fabric.

Adept at fund raising and promotion, he advertised, "When your stockings run, let them run to Labrador!"

In response to Grenfell's urgings, crates of stockings came from across North America and from Britain to his headquarters in St. Anthony, Newfoundland.

The silk and rayon stockings were ideal for hooked rugs,because they were readily available and absorbed dyes.

For his years of service on behalf of the people of these communities he was later knighted by King George V.

Dr. Grenfell died in 1940 but his work lives on in many missions and medical centers bearing his name.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Dr. GrenfellDr. Grenfell
Dr. Grenfell

His original mission was to treat the seamen and fishermen.
Let Your Stockings Run Let Your Stockings Run
Let Your Stockings Run

Just one example of Grenfells' clever promotion.
Combatting TBCombatting TB
Combatting TB

A hooked rug with a reminder.


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb