The Beginning


Advertisement
Published: May 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 1-4

About 300 km of cycling. An amazing start, and introduction to Newfoundand hospitality.


Day 1-4
Brad and Treena
The trip started almost as planned. We hadnt quite worked out all the kinks, and had a late start to day 1, after we hacksawed some pieces of Treenas front rack on her bike. She was also battling a bit of a sore foot, from a tumble on the hike. It tuned out to be no big deal though. We dipped our wheels in the water and rode about 70km, and found a nice spot, just off the highway, near a lake to camp. We had all our pegs, and sleeping bags, therefore camping on night 1 was a complete succes.

After waking up to light snow, we got a better start to day 2, and had a nice, hilly, windy day. We met Rich along the way. He is rollerblading across Canada to raise money for cancer research. We cycled along the #1 for a while. It had a nice wide shoulder, and we got a ton of friendly honks, and waves along the way. When we stopped for lunch, we had many pictures taken a motorcycle club for over 50's, and were told there would be a picture of us in their newsletter. We were also told
Day 1Day 1Day 1

2 cycling rookies, about to cycle across Canada.
that spring in Nl. means the ski-dooing isnt as good, not lets bike across Canada, by on of the men in the club. We camped in a friendly man's back yard, who had seen us earlier on the highway, and cleaned ourselves at the gas station.

Day 3 started fast, , but soon got windy. It was not the hilliest, but it had the biggest hills. Most notably, a hill that was almost 3km long, 85 km into our ride. It was steep, and trying its best to get us to quit. Once we got to the top, we coasted down a bit of a hill, and camped at Nfld and Labrador Trasport Department works yard. The workers there gave us tea, and let us use their bathrooms, and fill our bottles in the moring. We headed off to make a ferry, that was only about 50 km away, and that ride was great. On the ferry ride (old fish boat) from Bay L'argent to Rencontre East Treena and I were joined by another couple, Rich and Wendy, and Richs dad. We were the only ones on the ferry.

Rencontre East is a very cool little town. There
Action ShotAction ShotAction Shot

Outside Arnolds Cove
are no cars, just quads, and a pop of 212, or so the sign says. We were lead to a great campsite by some young kids, who helped us set up our tent, and gather firewood. We hadnt had an opportunity for a fire yet, so we embraced this, gave the kids some lighters, and knives, and sharp sticks, and we bought some marshmallows, and had a little roast. Wendy and Rich invited us over for showers, a first for the trip, and gave us sandwiches and hot chocolate, and beer. It was amazing. We walked back to our tent to see it was directly under a streetlight. One of about 3 streetlights in the whole town.

The next morning, one of the dads of the fleet of kids we entertained, who was also a lobster fisherman, brought us two freshly caught and cooked lobsters to eat. It was welcome change to granola, raisins, nuts, and oatmeal. Once school got out at 3, we were held hostage for a while in out tent, by the crazy little kids who were so interested in the first outside life coming to Rencontre of the "summer." The people there were so interested in what we were doing, and we so incredible. One of the most beautiful and coolest places I have ever been.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Isolated and Loving it.Isolated and Loving it.
Isolated and Loving it.

Some say the pop. has boomed to nearly 300
Rencotre EastRencotre East
Rencotre East

from the ferry
Our CampspotOur Campspot
Our Campspot

Notice our tent, top right.


14th May 2007

oh my god
well i geuss girlscouts and pathfinders really paid off eh!!lol!! it sounds like it's gonna be an unforgetable trip, make sure to keep all bundled up, it sounds a bit chilly!!! well.. keep me updated, miss you tons! cant wait to see you at the finish line! :)

Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0732s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb