Starting the trip driving through Ontario


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Manitoba » Winnipeg
May 11th 2012
Saved: March 15th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Ontario


And were off! I left London May 7th with a carload packed full of canned foods, camping necessities, a few clothes and my good friend from high school, Benny. When we first left I got a little bit of an erire feeling whenI thought about how long I'll actually be gone for, but the excitement took over pretty quick. We didn’t even make it out of London before something happen to the car were taking, a 1995 Honda Civic with 350 000km. Luckily it wasn’t something major, one of belts had snapped, so it was replaced right away. It took us 5 days and 2500km to get through Northern Ontario.I think that’s farther than a few people expected the car to make it. She’s still running great, although we pull over every few hours and let the engine cool off and we don’t really drive the faster than 100km/hr either.

Our first night we drove up to six mile lake in the muskokas and stayed at Ben’s cottage for the night. Considering that was the only night we actually had a bed I don’t think we appreciated it given it was our first night. We capped off the first day with a little late night fishing and had a few celebratory beers before getting a good sleep.

The next four Days we spent just cruising through Northern Ontario. We had pretty good weather so it was nice to see the scenery up in Ontario before we hit the nothingness of prairie driving. We stopped at pretty every much McDonalds on the way, probably a total of 7 or 8. Neither of us have ate at McDonalds though, we stop here to fill up our water jugs, charge our electronics, use their free Wi-Fi to contact family and friend’s, and sleep in their 24 hour parking lot.

We slept in Sault Ste Marie, Thunder Bay, and Dryden, all of them with the seats reclined and bundled up in a sleeping bag. The first night sleeping in the car we didn’t really expect how cold it was going to get and had a rude awakening in the morning, but after that we knew how to prepare and started getting pretty good sleeps.

We took turns driving and just stopped at whatever place interested us. With no place really to ever be we could drive as much as we wanted every day and see what we wanted. We usually pulled off the Trans Canada to see provincial parks and cook some of our canned food for lunch. We stopped at a lot of little lakes along the road and tried fishing. We weren’t getting any luck with fish until the last day when we stopped at a lake near kenora and caught a couple nice sized pikes. We also did few hikes and explored some Northern towns.






Other than that, some highlights include Silver falls, Sault Ste Marie Casino, seeing moose and deer, and Canadas largest nickel and largest goose. We’ve arrived in Winnipeg now and plan to take a break from driving for a day, after that well start and heading through the prairies!


Additional photos below
Photos: 99, Displayed: 24


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

13th May 2012

cool
looks like fun so far. nice fish.
22nd May 2012

Hi there boys, looks like your having an interesting time, the farm animals are cute.

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb