Shakey start today


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Victoria
June 24th 2011
Published: June 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Thank you for your comments Peter. Most appreciated! Well done Nicole & Ryan with your reports. It's always a bit of a worry when they come out isn't it. We have seen lots of things I recon you two would love. Keep working hard so that you can do a lot of traveling when you get older.
Had a bit of a rough start today but Ron got me some Imodium which did the trick. Left the house about 2:30 so too late for the planned double decker bus trip around the place. We found a Pedicab - Ryan (pushbiker) took us all around the downtown area regaling us with tales of the rise and demise of the Parliament Building + Empress Hotel etc architect (can't remember his name), Opium dens, tunnels between buildings, hanging square, ghosts of innocents who were hanged sending morse code messages - it sure was a super way to see and appreciate the area when feeling a bit jaded. A crumbling building facing some well-maintained old buildings had a story too. Apparently, the owner (back in the late 1800s) was the 1st on the scene in that area - he was incensed when opposition came along - he was obviously not a team player. Such was his acrimony that in his will he left money to pay the rates in perpetuity and instructions to never maintain the building - so that those pesky neighbours would have an eyesore for all time. Recently legislation has stepped in and it is now on the market - 21/2 million plus, being a heritage building, it now must be restored - mega millions. Back home now, Ron's eating tea, I'm still on dry toast and pep tea. Looking forward to Timothy's arrival.
Our love to you all
Ron & Pat

Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb