Vannnnncouver


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver » YVR
May 17th 2006
Published: July 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Thoughts of Vancouver tend to conjure up a whirlwind of emotions. Like many cities world round it is surely a fountain of good and a haven for nasty. A bittersweet, tragically beautiful city, I love both for the character it adds and the fun to be had.

A strange vibe surrounds downtown Vancouver as if to accustom its visitors to the rigors of inner city living without any of the stress. Vancouver drivers are quite possibly some of the most patient relaxed drivers on the planet, I know for sure that I would have been run down many times over if I were somewhere different! The people are friendly (be it lacking a sense of humor at times) and the scenery is the perfect backdrop for all its health conscious, sport loving inhabitants.

The people I have met, the friendships created, have been far more than one boy could ever hope for. Something special. ‘Twas enough in fact to make me want to stay, for the summer at least. Love them all, never looking back.

Yes, yes, yeahhhh, Vancouver, on its day - quite possibly one of the best places in the world. This is not to suggest,
Totem Poles - Stanley ParkTotem Poles - Stanley ParkTotem Poles - Stanley Park

There is not a lot of influence from the aboriginal people of this land throughout this young city, but at least it still exists!
however, that Vancouver is not without its own problems that the authorities are subtly trying to sweep under the carpet before the Olympics in four years time. Further away form Stanley parks waterfront walk and the manicured lawns of Kitslano. Vancouver is also host to a large proportion of Canada’s homeless and drug addicted citizens due to its mild climate.

Of particular note is East Hastings (my first port of call when visiting this city - traveling on a budget, gotta love it!) where pictures are painted daily of drug addiction, helplessness, impossible lives, destructive patterns and the horrid decay of once normal people. Vancouver has one of the best support systems in the world to help any type of troubled people, so sorry NO I DONT HAVE A QUARTER!


Be it selfishly, I have learnt like many of the locals to ignore this plague and am currently being treated to long summer nights ablaze with drunken hilarity, tragic jokes and the one farrrr too many jugs at the Cambie. There is so much more left to explore of this crazy city. Many a hidden treasure, which I will hopefully find and be forced to write again!
The people!The people!The people!

Are of course fantastic... be it a little crazy!
Till then, book a ticket. You’ll never feel lost in big city atmosphere here, its more like a town.

Seeyou!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The people!The people!
The people!

Did I mention crazy?
The people!The people!
The people!

CrazyBeautiful
The Views are Everywhere!The Views are Everywhere!
The Views are Everywhere!

This is my view from work... needless to say I haven't been complaining much!
American FootballAmerican Football
American Football

Never before have I been to such a slow game! The beer was good though as were the crazy Germans, Austrians and Americans I was with...


24th July 2006

You da man cuz
Sweet, looks like you're meeting some choice peeps over there homes

Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb