Day Trip to Vancouver


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver » False Creek
February 21st 2013
Published: February 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

February 20, 2013



I am aboard Amtrak headed to Vancouver, British Columbia. I am with friends Bill, Nancy and Judy taking a day trip to our sister city to the north. The train exited Seattle through the venerable 110 year old tunnel beneath the city and is now hugging the edge of Puget Sound. The Sound is calm, the surface smooth and glasslike. The temperature is around 40 F. The sky overcast. A very nice, typical day in the Northwest. Who am I trying to fool. It is dreary and rain threatens. None the less we are determined to have a good time.

We arrived in Vancouver at the train station on the outskirts of the city. From there we took the Sky Train into the city and got off at Canada Place, waterfront station. The weather had worsened with a cold breeze and light rain. We hopped a bus and headed to Granville Island where we explored around a bit and then found a warm cozy café where we had lunch. Later we walked through the indoor market and then took a bus back to water front station. A short walk to Gas Town to see the steam clock was about all we had time for.

The return train trip was uneventful. There was a fairly good sized crowd on board which is a good sign for improving use of train travel in the Northwest. Our next day trip by train is scheduled for April 3, destination Portland.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0604s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb