Vancouver Island - Ucluelet


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver Island
September 6th 2006
Published: September 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Whale watching, we're going whale watching!!

With that in our minds the drive to Ucluelet was still long but full of the vast backdrops that we still go wow at when we turn a corner and they come into view.

There were two things we wanted to see while here, I think you know one of them!! The other was Long Beach the only reputable surf spot in the whole of Canada. The beach looks out onto the Pacific ocean. The reason for its continual surf is the fact that the only thing getting in the winds way from the other side in Asia, is Japan. And that's still a pretty big distance for the wind to do its thing. And no Ty, I didn't have a go I'll leave it until we get somewhere warmer.

While in Ucluelet we stayed at the Ucluelet Campground next to the boat basin (a little harbour). It was a great spot with great views, good facilities (although $3 for a shower!! - only found the one shower that worked without paying on the last day!) & shops close by.

After a most agreeable BBQ (pork patty burgers, jacket spuds, tomatoes and philidelphia spread :P) the next morning Jamie's Whale Watching tours was our choice out of the 3 or so tour companies situated in town, and as it turned out a very good one for our guide, Matt was very informative, not only on the local history from its early days as a 1st Nation settlement but also on recent events such as the drug bust at the harbourside by the Navy Seals. He also had excellent knowledge of the local wildlife which really made the tour a memorable experience. See kids, learning can be fun!! As you can see from the photo's we saw what we came for and much more. So thanks again Matt, top bloke.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Jo looking at little windswept!!Jo looking at little windswept!!
Jo looking at little windswept!!

talk about white knuckles, those Zodiac power boats are some ride!!


Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 30; qc: 110; dbt: 0.1132s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.3mb