Sonora - Wild Luxury


Advertisement
Published: November 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Big ResortBig ResortBig Resort

First impression: wow!
It's been a long time coming, but it's finally time to dust off the travel blog; engage the choke, give the pull-cord a couple tugs, give gas and fire 'er up!

It's good to be unemployed again and looking forward to some amazing travels ahead! But first we thought we would throw down a little Sonora Blog to celebrate the last 6 months of employment in the rugged luxury known as Sonora Resort...(www.sonoraresort.com)

After returning from Africa in January it was a lengthy interview process securing our positions at Sonroa Resort. But after many phone calls, a trip to Richmond and a few emails, Kels and I had secured our rolls as Housekeeping Manager and Assistant Dining Room Manager, respectively. After some initial preparations at the head office in Richmond, we made our way to Sonora Island on May 1st, a 1-hour 15-minute boat ride from Campbell River or 45-minutes by private 12-seat helicopter from Vancouver; we took the boat from the Riv.

After navigating the stong ocean rapids that take you to (or away from) the resort, we saw Sonora Island with it's big rock face "mountain" that acts as the backdrop for the resort. Once docked
Grady ready to fishGrady ready to fishGrady ready to fish

Grady White on main dock.
we were blown away at the size and obvious quality of the resort. Luxury isn't gold plated toilet seats out here; it's a beautifully designed resort that has spared no expense in the quality of building materials, furnishings and equipment. From the fleet of Grady White fishing boats and 12-seat Eco-Zodiac tied up on the dock to the beautifully appointed 88 rooms (including the exclusive 12,000 sqft Sea Lion Pointe with it's massive collection of privately commissioned BC native art) the two heli-pads, the wine cellar (my new home) or the mineral pools behind the Spa overlooking the Yuculta rapids; the closest word to describe this place is: WOW. Luxury here doesn't just include the tangibles, as the season reveled, the caliber of the staff and service offered at Sonora puts this wilderness resort far above and beyond any other. Incredible facitities and amenities, amazing staff and a secluded location with endless natural eyecandy; a great place to call home for six months.

Highlights included: glasses of wine on the deck of the beach-house we called our home, pods of orca passing by the resort, only electric carts to get you from A to B, opening bottles of 1970
Spa with a viewSpa with a viewSpa with a view

Mineral pools overlooking Yuculta rapids.
Haut Brion (and trying them too!), fliping every room in the resort in 9 hours (that's 6 full helicopters of guests), housekeepers in heels parties, hugs, early morning fishing trips with fish in the boat, B.S., floor hockey in the boat house, six-course gourmet tasting menus with wine pairings, kelp-beer-bongs, sea-lions, incredibly friendly guests, Lucky & Shadow (the 2 resident golden retrievers), working 28-days in a row, grizzly bear sightings, helicopter rides, never enough windex, oreo icecream sandwiches, and many new friends.

Now that the season is over and Kels and I reflect on all the many great times on little Sonora Island, we realize how lucky we were to find such a perfect fit for our hospitality standards and current transient lifestyle. Upon our return from this trip, our plan is to return to Sonora and continue to contribute in creating "the best vacations ever" and enjoying all the benefits that come with the island lifestyle on the beautiful BC coast!

Next up: Turkey, Syria, Jordan, Egypt, Libya(?), Tunisia(?), India...

Until next time...



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Surge Channel on the pointSurge Channel on the point
Surge Channel on the point

Notice the Helicopter in the background... just another day at Sonora!
Touching DownTouching Down
Touching Down

Eagle Rock Lodge with Heli touching down behind with more lucky guests!
"Our" Beachhouse"Our" Beachhouse
"Our" Beachhouse

Pretty sweet digs for the summer!
Fireplace at Sea LionFireplace at Sea Lion
Fireplace at Sea Lion

Talk about impressive...how big is YOUR fireplace?
Entrance to Sea LionEntrance to Sea Lion
Entrance to Sea Lion

Colourful tiles lead the way into the dining room.
Soaker?Soaker?
Soaker?

I'm pretty sure God's tub looks like this one...
Cooking Class?Cooking Class?
Cooking Class?

We use this kitchen to host cooking classes...not bad!
Wet and Happy!Wet and Happy!
Wet and Happy!

Early start, pissing rain, open boat, soaking wet, fish guts everywhere - great morning!
Nice Fish! Nice Reel!Nice Fish! Nice Reel!
Nice Fish! Nice Reel!

Kels showing how it's done on my new Islander reel.
Dining Room Die-HardsDining Room Die-Hards
Dining Room Die-Hards

We even like the people we work with! Amazing!
She might be short...She might be short...
She might be short...

...but she's still the boss! Kels with a Kel & Kas - housekeeping stars!
Good PeopleGood People
Good People

Group shot as we leave the island.


8th November 2009

Safe and Happy Travels!

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb