Spring on the west coast


Advertisement
Published: May 29th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Foul weather gearFoul weather gearFoul weather gear

The weather was sunny, but cool
After returning from La Paz, Mexico, Leslie and I made a brief stop in Golden followed by a brief stop in Vernon to repack suitcases with foul weather sailing gear before heading to Sidney for 2 weeks of sailing on the west coast; a week sailing around Salt Spring in the Canadian Gulf Islands followed by one week in the San Juans Islands, USA.

Ladysmith and Butchart gardens were highlights in the Gulf Islands.

The Ladysmith Maritime Society marina is home to the largest Purple Martin colony in BC. After spending the winter in Brazil, the Blue Martins had returned to Ladysmith for the season. Purple Martins were first observed nesting there in 1989. Several nest boxes were installed in 1990. By 2002, there were 75 nest boxes and 35 pairs nested that summer and produced 70 offspring. By 2018, there were 100 boxes in the marina pilings and 75 pairs produced 178 young.

Butchart Gardens have 4 mooring ball in Butchart Cove which we used to gain access to the gardens. It is too early for most of the flowers, but over 60,000 tulips planted throughout the gardens made the visit well worth the price of admission.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Blue MartinsBlue Martins
Blue Martins

..return to Ladysmith marina to nest
Butchart CoveButchart Cove
Butchart Cove

Stern tied on a mooring buoy
TulipsTulips
Tulips

A few of the 60,000 bulbs
TulipsTulips
Tulips

Counting the tulips


Tot: 0.359s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 71; dbt: 0.1426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb