Day 5-last full day of the expedition


Advertisement
Published: November 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The morning of our last full day dawned; inevitably after the long journey the day before it was a late start. After breakfast I went off with Jen, sound-mapping the bay. As I had ensured I was with Kristi, so that we could do a spot of bird-watching, that was what we did, after we had done the required science bit.
We started off with the kingfishers, who seemed to reside constantly in the same tree. The only problem for them was that there were two of them who wanted the same perch all day. This resulted in a constant battle between the two birds, as they took it in turns to knock each other off. Its hard to imagine how annoying that must be after a while. Especially as there were hundreds of other trees with equally good perches all around the cove.
We also managed to get close to a couple of red throated divers, who seemed to be partaking in a little mating ritual, which seemed unusual for the time of year. Unfortunately we didn't see the family of otters which Kristi had seen on her last trip with Jen, but you can't have everything.
All in all it was just magical being out on the water, and it made me think of taking up kayaking on my return to the UK.
After dinner, Rob agreed to take us on the hike to Nenagh Hill, the highest point on our little island which we had called home for a week. Slight lack of communication meant that he presumed we had been told that it involved climbing ropes to get up certain slopes. For those of us with short legs ( me and Miki) this was not so easy, but we managed. It was the first proper walking we had done all week. Even though we were constantly in the outdoors we could not go outside the camp alone as it was dangerous.
In the evening Will got out his guitar, and we had the traditional campfire songs., a pleasant way to end the expedition. A few of us sang along to the well known tunes; but they were only well known to those of us over 25; there was a definite generation gap. Will did a few traditional canadian folk songs, which was interesting.





Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

the trailthe trail
the trail

easy if you've got long legs


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0529s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb