Arrival at camp


Advertisement
Published: November 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

At last we arrived at camp after a three and a half hour journey. The other scientists were eagerly awaiting our arrival. We Had the supplies fro the week- fresh vegetables and yoghurt. Of course they were eager to meet us too. We anchored in Skull Cove, disembarked into a small dinghy, and eventually formed a chain to get all our luggage up the steep wooden steps. We had been issued with wellies by this time and were told we would have to wear them everywhere in camp, it could get very muddy. We were shown around camp after being allocated our cabins. I was to stay in the luxury of Killerwhale Kottage with Kristi, and yes I am able to appreciate the alliteration, and it didn't annoy me once that they had spelt cottage with a K.
We had enough time to make our Kabins (whoops) bear proof; all toiletries had to be kept in the kitchen just in case. we were also warned that if we heard a wolf howling in the night we should NEVER howl back. I wonder why?
To explain the night loo thing- there was an anytime loo for all your needs and a night loo, which was essentially a potty, for night time emergencies. In both loos you had to burn your toilet paper. As there were so many Brits on the science team we all called them loos, which was very convenient fro me. No pun intended.
By now you will have gathered there was no running water. The chances of a wash, never mind a shower seemed remote. I didn't have to ask why all the male scientists had beards.
We had a hearty supper of stir fried veg and went to bed pretty early, after all the introductions and stuff of course. Miki surprised us all with a gift from Japan- a sort of scarf thing which could save us all from too many bad hair days.

In the morning we were given a lecture on Grey Whales. some interesting facts; they live to 40+, they mature at 4-7 years, gestation is 10 or 12 months( nobody is quite sure), they exhibit mating behaviour in Feb/March and have young in Dec/Jan. Scientists do not kow if the females store the embryo or if they have got the gestation period wrong. The females calf every 2 years, and abandon them after
Camp LayoutCamp LayoutCamp Layout

Notice the Highway Express to the toilet
5 months. They do not have the need to live after the fertile period of their lives as they do not spend long with their young, unlike orcas and blue whales, who live up to 100+.

Grey whales used to feed from the ocean bed, eating anthropods, and swallowing rocks at the same time, which helped them balance. Now they are known to be eating mysids, a small crustacean present in kelp beds. In our area of study there were 100+ individuals in 2004. In 2005 there were none. In 2006 there were 6 sightings. So far in 2007 4 individuals had been seen, but only one in the cove itself- Boomerang, the only one who came back. In fact I started to make up a story for Kristi's primary school class about how he came back, looking for all of his friends and family....and it was very sad, but incomplete.

The morning was taken up with kayak training. I bagsied Kristi as a partner as she is an experienced kayaker. She is also into birds in a big way and was always willing to make a detour.
After dinner ( and yes I will call the midday meal dinner despite mixing in an international group) we went kelp bed mapping in the kayaks. With Dave at the helm I was sorted. He was a very experienced kayaker- I checked his credentials sharpish. He also hailed from the North west, from a little town called Ormskirk, which he was sure I wouldn't have heard of. Kelp bed mapping involves lots of paddling round the edges of the kelp beds, and marking waypoints on a GPS- at last I was doing science!

On our return me and Kristi had a chance to do a bit of bird watching. We saw loads of Rhinoceros Auklets, and Pacific Loons. We call them Great Northern Divers.
Miki cooked us a Japanese meal, with ingredients she had brought from Japan. It was delicious and so thoughtful.
The evening entertainment consisted of going down to brush our teeth and watch the bio luminescents in the moonlight. Really special.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb