Move over Kevin Costner, I am the real bodyguard


Advertisement
Published: August 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

On the way back to Calgary from Fairmont Springs we passed the majestic Castle Mountain and were lucky enough to spot an eagles nest atop a bridge nearby. Usually eagles will have one offspring, sometimes two. This nest had three and the mother in it at once. We watched the squawking children being feed by the mother who was swooping down into the river below to catch fish. It was hard to see the three babies at once, but just before we left I managed to snap a photo with all three.

We also made a stop at Kootenay national park. It is a beautiful area with picturesque waterfalls and an array of wildlife. We eyed lots of caterpillars and butterflies. Nic wasn't impressed. She isn't a fan of moths or butterflies, so I have to be her body guard, it's like that kevin Costner, Whitney Houston film. We walked to the canyons and spotted birds nests periliously made into the side of the steep walls. A lot of the trees were scorched from a recent fire. The park rangers often set fires to burn off all the dead wood and let new species regenerate. We found this practice was quite often undertaken, unless a natural fire had occurred through lightning strikes. Not sure if the local animals would appreciate these man made fires though, maybe I could be their bodyguards too, I can definitely see a change of vocation on the horizon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb