No more skiing at Big White


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Kelowna
April 14th 2005
Published: April 14th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Nice little drop off the Bullet LiftNice little drop off the Bullet LiftNice little drop off the Bullet Lift

There are loads of these little cliff drops all over the mountain. It's good because you have to spend a lot of time out there to find most of them.
Well, the season here at Big White is over. For about 5 weeks in the middle there we had hardly any fresh snow fall and we watched as our base slowly shrank and rocks started appearing on runs. But then about halfway through March winter returned and we had a great end to the season. It’s a bit frustrating at the moment as we’re still getting fresh snow fall but we can’t go out riding on it. It’s all a bit sad that the season’s over, but there is a lot happening over the next few weeks, so it’s good to look forward to it all. Most of the time up here is spent either working or riding, so I’ll write about some of the different things that we have been doing.

Last week a bunch of us went down to the Pentiction “Fest of Ales”, oddly enough in Pentiction, a 2 hour drive from BW. It’s the second largest beer festival in BC and had micro-breweries and restaurants from all over showing their beverages and food. Sean had the great idea of going and interviewing some of the stands with his camera to get some free samples of their
After a big dumpAfter a big dumpAfter a big dump

The snow covering everything is quite pretty, especially when its sunny and we're above the fog.
wares (Sean loves free stuff). We managed to get about 6 or 7 free drinks before one of the organizers told us we had to stop because we didn’t have media passes. Grrrrrr. We had a great afternoon/night anyway and it was well worth the drive.

The last day of riding was on Sunday which turned out to be a really good day to be out and I finally managed to make it for first chair (to be there when the lift opens in the morning), the only time this whole season. For last run, everyone headed up to the top of the mountain and hung out for a while before heading to a big sun pit that some of the groomers had built. We were there for only a little while as we were still frozen from being at the summit.

With the end of the season came all the staff parties. The official Big White Staff Party was on Monday at a golf course in Kelowna and was loads of fun. We played nine holes and had dinner in the club house before heading into Splashes (a club in town) for one last night out and
Sunrise over Big WhiteSunrise over Big WhiteSunrise over Big White

This isn't my photo, but it's the sunrise over the Village Centre and Clock Tower.
to say bye to everyone. They finally managed to get us out at about 2:30am even though the club was suppose to be closed at 2am.

On Tuesday we headed back up to the mountain to clean, pack and get ready to leave on Friday for Whistler. We’ll probably spend about 4 nights there and then head back down to Vancouver. I have a job at a summer camp near Toronto lined up that starts on the 1st of May, so I’ll have a bit of a chance to maybe see Vancouver Island and a bit more of Toronto before heading over. Hope you enjoy the photos.





Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

A partial family photoA partial family photo
A partial family photo

From the left: Tom, Tim (not a housemate), Chloe and I. Ridge Rocket Chair while it's cold and overcast.
Trying out the skisTrying out the skis
Trying out the skis

On Fridays they have $5 ski rental for night skiing, so we all went and got ourselves hitched with rather unfamiliar equipment and went flying down the hill at speeds we normally snowboard at. Luckily no one was injured too badly.
Flying over the rollersFlying over the rollers
Flying over the rollers

Coming off the Falcon Chair there are some nice little hits around. Guy took these photos with his camera, it's got a Leica lens in it, hence why they look so good.
Race DayRace Day
Race Day

Sean, Ben, Myself and Tom (L to R) went in the 8th Annual Banked Slalom race they have here. When we entered we didn't realise how big a comp it was until we rocked up to race and the BC Boarder Cross team was there. It was the most gnarly course I have ever seen. Some of the corners solid blue ice which made it a challenge to get down in one piece. Apparently it was the biggest turnout for the comp in the worst conditions they had seen.
The CliffThe Cliff
The Cliff

This photo needs little explaining. It's a bit tricky getting through the rocks but then it's clear, fast cruising all the way down the bowl to the lift. The backside of the mountain is basically directly where the camera is pointing, but on the other side.
We Love BackcountryWe Love Backcountry
We Love Backcountry

This is where we get the fresh tracks. This sign is in the photo of "The Cliff".
The backside of Big White Mtn.The backside of Big White Mtn.
The backside of Big White Mtn.

The anticipation of all that fresh, untouhed snow below you is enough to make jump out of your skin.
Fresh Tracks Baby!!!Fresh Tracks Baby!!!
Fresh Tracks Baby!!!

A pair of tracks down the pristine powder which is the backside. From here we hike to the left to the saddle and ride down to the Cliff Chair which takes us almost back to the "Danger" sign.
Resting before the hikeResting before the hike
Resting before the hike

Tom and I build a little bench with our boards and admire the view before the 20 minute hike out.
Sean from Big White Channel 5 (resort cable channel)Sean from Big White Channel 5 (resort cable channel)
Sean from Big White Channel 5 (resort cable channel)

Sean here working his magic with the microphone.
The "Fest of Ale" crewThe "Fest of Ale" crew
The "Fest of Ale" crew

Ben, Guy, Sean, Myself and Tom at the Pentiction "Fest of Ale".
Downhill Dummy RaceDownhill Dummy Race
Downhill Dummy Race

This was held on the last Saturday of the season. Basically you build a dummy on skis or something, send it down the hill and watch it get destroyed. Fun for the whole family.
Last Run from the summitLast Run from the summit
Last Run from the summit

This is where a load of people congregated at the end of the day when the lifts shut, the very summit of Big White Mtn. From here we went down to the sun bowl that was made but as it was rater windy and cold, we headed back down fairly quickly.
The Sun PitThe Sun Pit
The Sun Pit

The sun pit was fantastic, just no sun.
Golf DayGolf Day
Golf Day

Finally things were warming up. It still amazes me that about 45 mins drive away from here is an awesome ski resort. I shot the front 9 with people from Cen Res then went and finished the back 9 with the regular crew.
Last Night OutLast Night Out
Last Night Out

Hanging out at Splashes after golf with Sean and Rosie.


14th April 2005

Great photos
The photos are great - never enough of them - keep them coming as we all wait to share your adventure - Anon
15th April 2005

Terveisiä Suomesta!
Look like you enjoy about your life :) You may remember what we talk about life.. And you do just that what i tried to explain to you So do i <3 And coming Auss !!!!! Wuhuu!!! See you dear Andrew - Heidi Mäkinen

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb