April 30-May 6/Day 47-53


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Kelowna
May 7th 2010
Published: May 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 49 to Day 53, May 2-May 6

We always spend more time than planned as there is so much to see and do. We are at least three days behind our original plan. But who cares!

On Friday we left the wonderful small town of Florence after eating delicious fish the night before and spent the day exploring the sand dunes but did not ride a dune buggy, as planned, as the timing was wrong. We spent the night in Lincoln, Oregon another beautiful small town and were fortunate to have a room right on the ocean front.
How soothing it is to sleep with the sounds of the waves pounding the shore all night.
We left Lincoln and spent he day doing more exploring along the coast of Oregon. We visited the Tillamook Cheese Factory. Enjoyed a traditional grilled cheese and tomatoe soup. Why does something so simple always taste so good away from home. It was so educational so learn the steps of making and packaging cheese. We visited the Sea Caves of the Seals. Then stayed the night in Olympia, Washington.
We were shocked to see the devastating destruction of the trees all along the highways for miles and miles. The clear cutting process when not managed properly is very disturbing to witness. But I must say further north up the coast it was very beautiful.

Sunday, May 2 WE ARE BACK HOME IN CANADA.
We left Olympia, Washington where we had a free night in the Comfort Inn as we had enough points to cover the cost of the room.
We had to meet the Tawwassen Ferry and Brad and Wendy Franklin. Wendy presented Kirk with a wonderful paddle he commissioned her to paint with all his life achievements displayed creatively in a beautiful art form. Brad and Wendy gave Kirk a beautiful Mauri dugout canoe.
Somehow we were able to get them into our car. Kirk however is now running behind after being displaced by the paddle!
We visited with Jim Clarke, (Bill Miller, Fiddlers on the Trent) a dear friend who is living in a nursing home in Delta and then on to stay for two nights with our dear friend Carel Wilkin. She is the "cupid" who introduced us to each other in 1988 at the Toronto Board of Education where we were all working at the time.
Lots of memories, laughs and two days of relaxations after having driven for the last 8 days. We had to dig out our winter coats as it was cold and raining in Vancouver.
We left Wednesday morning for Kelowna.
We took the Hope Princeton Highway #3 through the mountains. At Allison Pass we were in a snow blizzard, then rain, some sun and more snow. The road was well maintained and we made it safely to Kelowna two hours later than expected. The scenery was spectacular. There is nothing like the mountains.

We have had two wonderful days with my friend Carol Baker and her husband Keith. Carol has been my friend since we were in Grade One. We talked, shared memories and were spoilt with wonderful home cooked meals. To-day we explored Kelowna. The mountains, the beautiful homes built on the sides of the mountains. It is a lovely city in the Okanogan Valley. We saw how they are now growing apples on trees staked like vines. They say the production is 8% more per acre grown this way.
The weather cleared and it was beautiful and about 60.

We leave in the morning for Golden, BC over Rogers Pass. The next day we will be in Banff and then on to Jasper and Edmonton to visit Kirk's nephew Kirk. (his namesake)

I will continue the next time I have access to a computer. Love to all who are reading this.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.319s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0936s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb