Let the picking begin..


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Kelowna
July 21st 2009
Published: July 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

After arriving in Kelowna on one fine sunny and ridiculously hot Sunday afternoon, we have spent the last week with no money and pretty much finding all the free stuff around town.

The first few days of our new town were spent checking out some of the great beaches around and you guessed it, lying around and reading. It is now warm enough where we can spend more than 5 minutes in the water without having to get out but now means we sweat like crazy and its very uncomfortable to sleep in ole stanny. We also went for a nice walk downtown, although its not as fun knowing that you cant even contemplate buying anything. But still good to have a looksy at all the cute little stores and cafes.

We also spent time at the local pool, where not only is it cheap ($3) but you can also have a nice warm shower. It also managed to draw the little kid out of us as we rocked it out on the rope swing - zach even attempted a back flip. There was also a fun little water slide and a basketball net that we battled it out at. So that managed to occupy two of our afternoons. We also managed to find time to attend harry potter and were lucky enough to get there a little bit early (by pure accident) and get some decent seats as the cinema was packed. We quite enjoyed the movie, although couldnt really remember what had happened in the book and so couldnt bitch about everything they had left out.

Due to the heat, being our resourceful selves, we discovered a magnificent place where things are cool, internet access is plentiful (and free) and magazines and papers can be read. The library. So have spent a great deal of time there as well.

On Friday we called our soon to be boss and headed up to our home for the next few weeks. We were the second lot of people there and so it seemed quite isolated and to be honest kind of disgusting and gross. The "care taker" (takes care of what, i would like to know) introduced himself, a balding little man with a pot belly who doesnt ever wear a shirt and has also once graced us with the pleasure of wearing speedos (yummy). The camp consists of a small little house with a bathroom and kitchen but will be soon be taken over with tenants and our cooking facilities will be in a long shed type thingy. There is also an old camper in which apparently we will hang out in when it rains but atm has old beer bottles and moldy food in it. The bathrooms are decent and im just happy to be having regular showers. So all in all we cant complain as we now have access to a toaster, oven (zach baked a cake yesterday..delicious) and running water. We met the boss and he seems like a nice guy, and answered all our questions about the picking and camping and all that wonderfulness. Over the next few days a whole lot more people arrived and the facilities didnt seem AS bad cos now there were fun people to hang out with. The majority of them are french canadian and for the first few days we were the only ones with a van so we piled in 7 of us and hung out by the beach and took them all to value village and walmart to buy some camping items. There is also now another Aussie which i am pretty happy about and we swapped vegemite and tim tam stories which is fun. We should be starting the picking tomorrow (hopefully) and so we will elt you know how the 5am starts and physical labour goes.

Kelowna has also had some massive fires roaming around for the last 4 or 5 days and many people have been evacuated and homes lost which is sad. The smoke continues to cover the city and on a few occasions completely blocks out the sun which is a bit eery. So hopefully the hard working fire fighters get that under control soon.

For now thats about it, as we have pretty much jsut been trying to occupy ourselves with free activities until the job starts and we can get some money to do some fun activities (wakeboarding and white water rafting is on the cards).

Untile next time friends and fam

xox



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



22nd July 2009

Yummy Camp
How happy I am when I turn on my computer and there is a new Canadia blog! Love that you are hanging out at the library - you are a pair of very resourceful vegemites. Hope the fruit picking goes well - don't forget to wear a hat and sunscreen (see I can even nag from thousands of miles away...). And looks like you will need a few garbage bags to clean out that camp (wear rubber gloves and use lots of bleach). Love you both, Mum xxxx
22nd July 2009

How gross
Hi KJ and Zac Thanks for the update, certainly a gross out van, but at least a bit of cash, work and meeting new people. What the hell you guys are young anyway. Love the stories and the resourcefulness (a library-mum will be impressed). All is well here, Jaz is off to splendour in a couple of days. Mum is going for her Q-ride license on Sunday and then some more after that. Me, well I am just working my butt off on QR. Glad tyo see you are both having so much fun. Love Dad xxx
22nd July 2009

Yayyyy for Libraries & Cake!
Great writing KJ. Thanks again for keeping us updated. We laughed so much about Zach baking a cake. That is so him. Even funnier Zach, is that Logan asked to bake one yesterday, apparently you two could just live on cake. What a magical place the library is and what a wonderful place for the two of you to hang out. Your new employment location is for sure somewhat sketchy but I am happy you can have showers and are safe. KJ, what is vegemite? Good luck picking! Love Mom
29th July 2009

hang in there!
still a religious reader miss! i check almost every time i open the internet :) sounds.. fun? ha, ew toilets, but yay cake! i guess these things are a trade off my dear. hope youre still having a tip top time, and ive noted your tips for saving money. library, tally ho! miss you muffin xo

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb