An Old English Rose B & B


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Kelowna
April 6th 2009
Published: June 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Spent the morning strolling leisurely down Robson St. First stopped for a brekkie at Blenz Coffee, one of the many cafes located at every other corner in Vancouver. Mmm... nice hot coffee in the cold morning. Great start for our trip 😊

Collected the car at abt 10am at Empire Landmark Hotel. When we were brought to the carpark, all the cars looks new and shiny, except 1 blue toyota... mmm we were all secretly praying silently that it wont be ours. To our relief, our car is the one parked next to the toyata, a big silver Chevy. First check if any scratches, check driving position, GPS blah blah... Aiyo... the leg pedals are too far for my short legs.. How how? After fidgeting here and there, we are finally on our way! Yeh!

Picked up our luggages at the hotel and we head off to Highway 1 to get to Kelowna. Drove for almost 4-5 hrs before we reached our Old English Rose B & B... to relieve those days at Lake District. Mina, the host, was extremely friendly and helpful. She showed us around the house, took our orders for brekkie tmr, and volunteered lotsa useful info on wineries to visit and restaurants to dine in. Really impressed with day light, where she kinda drilled a hole in th roof, covered with a lampshade to tap on the sun light in the day to illuminate the place. So environmentally friendly and smart!

Getting pretty late, so we quickly headed to the nearby Summerhill Pyramind Winery. This winery produced quite a few award winning wine. We tasted 4 different wines... of which one is a red ice wine which I've nv tried before... since we're all the way to Kelowna, felt that we must buy a few bottles, a white, a sparkling white and a white infused with ice wine, to drink while we're at the Rockies later.

Spent the rest of our time at Lake Okanagan, enjoying the peacefulness. Unfortunately, the restaurant rec by Mina was not opened. Ended up at an irish pub, the food was quite yucky... Headed back to our B&B to maximise our time in our cosy room. I'm so suaku but we have an electric blanket, so nice and warm... Had an extremely good nite sleep.

Woke up with much enthusiasm for breakfast. My fav egg benedict! Mina told us she lay the table in a different style everyday and we had the french setting. Our first course was banana with lemon curd... YUMZ, VERY NICE... The bananas are so sweet with aa tint of sourness from the lemon curd. I must learn to make this. Next was the banana bread. Wow... equally good. When she asked if we want 1 or 2 eggs, we all shouted 2 in syncronisation, cos our main course must be heavenly good too hahaha.... To our surprise, our egg benedict didn't come with 2 eggs... in fact she gave us TWO egg bennys! WOW... since we so greedy to order 2 eggs, die die oso must finish lor. This breakfast is enuf to last us for the whole day i guess. Mich ordered the salmon cake, the salmon is canned by her son in Vancouver. I love the salmon cake too. Slowly digged in our huge and lovely breakfast, felt so homely. Wish we can stay here longer.

Mina shared her life story just like a friend. She leads a very healthy lifestyle, wakes up at 6am to run on her treadmill everyday. She also loves to drink wine.. she said "A good wine is simply just a wine you like!". I totally agree. Mina is an avid traveller and she decorates her place with souvenirs from all around the world (i saw a coaster from Raffles Hotel Singapore). This is exactly how I want my dream guesthouse to be... homely, cosy hosted by the lovely, hospitable ME 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0657s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb