Update of the past several weeks


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Kelowna » Big White
January 2nd 2008
Published: February 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I'm sitting here with a mug of hot chocolate trying to recall the significant events of the past few weeks, there are many: We experienced the first of the champagne powder snow, had another couple of Christmas parties and secret santa's, saw the mountain suddenly turn to full capacity, took another trip into town, and joined in the whole Christmas Eve, Christmas, and Boxing day festivities, followed by New Year's Eve, and New Year's Day.

I'll start with the snow. I think we have tasted the best champagne powder that goes beyond our expectations, so much so that we are beginning to get spolit and fussy with our opinions on the snow conditions. We had a near blue bird day today with a nice coating of powder and we rode all day, mostly through the trees in black forest. It's strange to ride through such soft powder snow after being used to the icey, compacted trails that you grind against with every turn. This powder snow was silent and light, soft to fall on, and very forgiving, although it was also harder to ride in in some respects also- especailly when you find yourself stuck up to your armpits in a tree well, it's like sinking sand to get out of. We are both starting to do some jumps and Daniel is starting to switch ride. Also, Daniel raced today down a part of the Perfection run and did really well. He was the first to go down on a snowboard (everyone else was on skis) and got a really good time. I recorded it on video and will post it if I can figure out how.

Work has settled down a LOT, thankfully, since the holiday period because a lot of guests have left the mountain, which also means we now have the slopes just about back to ourselves and no lift lines.

Daniel won employee of the month for his department, and got to go to an ice hockey game, dinner, and drinks in Kelowna with some others, but not me. So here I am tonight, baking cookies in my pjs by myself. Actually it's quite refreshing after such a big day, and tomorrow will be just as big so it's a nice rest, albeit grannyish.

A part of the update includes some really sad news. We had a tradgedy on the mountain a couple of days ago. There was an avalanche out in the cliff area under the chair lift. One 21yr old Australian guy was missing for a day or so. We all had hoped he had simply gone into town without informing anyone, and was safe. But the next day his body was found about 2-3 metres beneath the snow. His family is here now and tomorrow night we are having a small memorial for him. I didn't know him personally, but it feels like he was one of us, a young, adventurous Australian out to have a good time working holiday here at Big White so we will go and show our respect.

I think we have just about reached our half-way point here. It has gone really fast and has been so much fun. I don't think I have much more to write about so I'll sign off now.

Stacey.






Advertisement



Tot: 0.266s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb