We made it!


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Fernie
June 12th 2007
Published: June 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Finally arrived in Calgary after a long flight. Pretty beat, just like any other 20 hour flight. The dogs were in the cargo hold of our longest leg, so we had the added concern for them every time we hit a bit of turbulence.

Hired the car, and headed for the hotel. Shopping for the essentials, excited about getting to Fernie. We are almost there. This is what we have been working towards since November!

We picked the dogs up from the airport, and they were healthy, exhausted, but very happy to see us. Dougall was a bit stressed, but Otis seemed fairly robust.

We spent 3 Days in Calgary, catching up with Leanna, and preparing for our last leg of the trip. The Dodge Caravan we hired was squeezed tight with all our stuff.

Our 3 hour trip to Fernie was relatively smooth. I was lucky to miss a few deer that happened to trot in front of me. A lot more caution, and a big dose of peripheral vision is needed when driving in Alberta / BC.

We stayed with Sandra for a few days, and then took possession of our new home. It's tiny and big at the same time. Perfect for Anne and I, and a great yard for the dogs.

I started running again, and found Fernie to be probably the BEST place in the world to run. I could be here for years without having to run the same trails over again. Summer used to be quiet in Fernie, but with mountain bike riding becoming popular, it has become a great place to ride the trails. I have heard more than one tale of riders slamming into bears on a corner.

Speaking of Bears, my paranoia level when running is increasing, and there are not many people around here that provide any abatement. Everyone seems to have their story. I guess it's only a matter of time before I have mine.

Even on the paths around the 'City' of Fernie, there are warnings of 'dangerous' animals. These include: Bears, Moose (more dangerous than Bears, apparently), Cougars (hide in trees and jump on lonely runners), Coyotes (pronounced coy-oats here), and wolves.






Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.267s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0767s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb