2 Days and Counting


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Abbotsford
April 21st 2012
Published: April 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Our facesOur facesOur faces

We are frustrated at this blog for not being able to upload our potrait
Welcome to our blog! We are going to Tanzania for a global development internship for almost 4 months. We are going with five other interns from University of the Fraser Valley. The seven of us will be living in a Catholic guesthouse in the city of Dar es Salaam.

I (Lisa) will be working with a non-profit organization called 'KidzCare Tanzania.' Their focus points are to support orphans and vulnerable children in Tanzania, assist with establishing early childhood education in rural areas, provide encouragement and support for communities and form networks and support groups for people affected and effected by HIV/ AIDS. I will be focusing more on the social policy and administrative side of the organization to learn more about how non-profits operate there.

I (Levi) is going to be working with the local university in Dar es Salaam, doing research and fieldwork with PHD students, related to youth in unplanned settlements as well as the relationship between the Tanzania government and local NGO's on the ground.

Besides working at our placements, we will also be taking Swahili lessons and participating in lectures from various guest speakers. As we learn more about our roles there, we will write all about it here on our blog!

Advertisement



23rd April 2012

Thrilled!!
I am so thrilled for both of you!!! And jealous!! Have an amazing time and learn lots, take lots of pictures and come back with stories and impressions that molded you! Love you!
6th May 2012

Hi from Japan
Thinking of you....and sending lots of love. Mom and Dad
6th May 2012

Soak it all in
The apple certainly doesn't fall very far from the tree! I've met you, Levi, in the office I share with your Dad. I'm sure that you and Lisa will have many wonderful and inspiring adventures. I lived in East Africa for a few years in the early 70's. Wonderful people. Kwa herini

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb