Overnight train to Jasper


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Jasper
July 7th 2016
Published: July 7th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Avid followers or insomniacs, we have now arrived in Jasper after the overnight Canadian train from Vancouver.

Yesterday was spent circumnavigating (going round in circles) Stanley Park, one of Vancouvers premier tourist attractions. Plenty of things going on. Bowling (Chris variety), cycling, fishing. Very impressive gardens, brilliant sea life aquarium and a slightly less thrilling children's mini train ride (practice for future holidays?). I did consider a spot of totem pole sitting but we ran out of time. Perhaps just as well. However I did catch a fish - got photo to boot. But is it another Overton sized Whopper? Your call.

After returning the hire car to the most obscure location in Vancouver - (no signs to direct us to the bowels of a posh hotel near the cruise liners dock), we boarded the train to Jasper early evening. Met some interesting people. Americans who bought us drinks, invited us to stay and shared with us photos of their grandchildren. Revenge took the form of a few(!) of my eagle snaps. Canadians from Montreal, one of whom originated from Peterborough. To their disappointment we did not know any of their forefathers. And finally an Australian who ran a Whaling Station museum south of Perth, had a company running both whale trips and wreck diving and was a real old salt. Another invitation?

The accommodation on the train was first rate - just like being in a cabin on a French ferry but with complimentary drinks and good food. A really comfortable way to cover about 700 miles. The communal dining and viewing cars gave clear views of the Rocky Mountains and the endless rivers that run from them. Canada is vast.

Joy's gone off for a swim before dinner at our latest hotel. Leaving me to blog.

By the way I have resumed my English nationality after Wales gallant failed attempt to win something...I am of course deeply disappointed at their losing to Potugal.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0989s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb