Bear Country...


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Jasper
August 26th 2006
Published: September 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

...Or more accurately in Vicki's case - Squirrel Country! Paul's keen eye for wildlife in Jasper has had him seeing elk, ferrets and even a bear with her cubs. Lets just say Vicki hasn't done so well. Either way, between us we have clocked up a pretty impressive Sitch family wildlife spotting score!

We have had a fantastic five days in Jasper. The Rockies are amazing and the scenery has kept us continually awed!

On arriving in Jasper, we were worried to find out that our hostel (HI Jasper) was miles out of town and that all the trailheads were equally hard to reach. We needn't have worried as the hostel laid on a load of hikes and activities that cheaply got us to see everything we wanted to. We also met loads of great people, backpacking in a like-minded way to us (a huge relief after party time students in Toronto). On the downside, the hostel has been a serious baptism of fire to dormitory living! Our dorm held well over 40 people and at least 5 of them had serious snoring afflictions. Not least the guy on the last night who we genuinely thought might pass away as he only breathed in a huge snore every 2 minutes or so! When will someone tackle this nocturnal nuisance!!

The key highlights of our time here were a trek to the "Bald Hills' which enabled a much needed 8 mile leg stretch after the train and fantastic view over "Maligne Lake" (apparently cursed as evil after a priest lost his horse there). On the way home from this trip we stopped to swim in "Lake Annette", near Jasper, with an amazing mountain backdrop. Another highlight was a trek to the "Valley of the Five Lakes" where each lake is a different shade of green - as was Vicki following an excess of honey beer the night before! This was followed by cliff jumping at an idealic lake called "Horseshoe Lake" (although we were too woosy to brave the glacial water and just watched!).

When we haven't been on the organised hikes, we have been bear tracking - somewhat unsuccessfully, mooching around in Japser in our favourite cafe - The Soft Rock, or cooking up a storm in the hostel kitchen.

Finally, of course we had to sample the local brew (the afore-mentioned honey beer) and joined the HI pub crawl for the best chance to do this. The highlight of this being Vicki's eviction from a pub for not being able to prove she was over 18, despite being possibly the oldest there (including the bar maid and crawl organiser!). Anyway, it was a great night and a good chance to get to know all our HI buddies who we were sad to say goodbye to when we left.

Well, since we got to Jasper the weather has gone from a sunny 29 degrees to a chilly 5! What happened to our year long summer!? We're off to chase the sun...



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Soft Rock CafeSoft Rock Cafe
Soft Rock Cafe

Fallen off the wagon (that I never actually managed to get on)


1st September 2006

hey guys
looks like your having fun. some of the places look cool.both look happy. well work is ok. hollie is good. missing you. wij x x
1st September 2006

Brill !!
You've actually started - had no doubts you would :) Looking forward to the continuing story
3rd September 2006

Maybe our paths will cross!
Hi there, (Hi vicki, we havent met yet ( I am Pauls Cousin) Hopefully our paths will cross on our journeys). Looks like you are having a great time. I have been to toronto and Niagra (Chris is Canadian) but haven't made it out west yet. Looks beautiful! Have fun and I hope we are still in Oz when you come through!
4th September 2006

How many pints does that beer glass hold?!!!!!
4th September 2006

Great Scenery
Scenery looks great mountains are brill. Bite the bullet and get in that ice water! Where are you now?
4th September 2006

Can we come please
Looks fabulous in bear country. We are thinking of taking a gap year!!!!! Thanks a lot you two our Louise has decided not to find work when she finishes uni. next year and to follow your trail.......
4th September 2006

Not nearly enough!
5th September 2006

HELLO

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0192s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb