Day 5 - back on the train


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Jasper
July 7th 2006
Published: July 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hopefully we're not giving the impression that we dislike the train in any way. It may be relentless, but it's excellent fun. Such a strange feeling having an almost infinite amount of time for reading, talking, sleeping and staring out of the window.

So today we leave Jasper at lunchtime and have the highlight of this train journey - winding our way through the Rockies through quite amazing valleys. Plenty of snow around, although sadly no bears (at least, we missed them all). Several times throughout the day we hear an urgent PA announcement saying that the driver has spotted a bear up ahead. Everyone leaps to the windows on whichever side the bear is, and then everyone wonders where the bear has gone to. We don't find this lack of bear sighting particularly surprising. They may be 10ft tall and grizzly, but even they would be scared by a train half a mile long. So they head back behind their favourite tree as we zoom past. They probably have a game of this and enjoy watching hundreds of faces and digital cameras glued up against the window.

We have nowhere to stay in Prince George, our overnight stop. The incredibly kind train manager, Tracy, sorts us out with a hotel room and in return we buy her 2 bananas. More on that later. Dinner in Wendy's.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb