Muncho-Cavell


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Jasper
July 1st 2006
Published: July 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Muncho Lake OverviewMuncho Lake OverviewMuncho Lake Overview

As usual, the pics don't do it justice. The water was from a full and well used pallette.
Hi all.

Happy Canada Day to all our north of the border friends!

As you know from the last post. Raeann and I are continuing our trip home through Jasper and Banff, Alberta without our fearless leader. One things for sure, now Rae and I have more room. This little Dodge van is great for 2! Sorry to see Dad go, but he's back home with Mary receiving both her and the docs loving care and the reports are good. I have to tell you, I'm 21 years younger than Dad and I am getting pretty tired myself. Into our 6th week on the road...home starts to sound better everyday.

BUT THEN THERE'S THIS WONDERFUL COUNTRY

Mucho Lake
Wonderful, large, blue, aqua with forests and rock running right down to the water. I've decided that this is a big difference from much of the western US... here you get mountains blazing to the heavens, trees (maybe smaller, but nice) all around and the water..the water... Falls. glaciers. Rivers. Streams. What they are calling a drought here would make New Mexico REAL happy. The drive down the rest of the Alaska Highway to it's 0 mile a Dawson
Folded MountainFolded MountainFolded Mountain

The gentle arcs of the earths crust! How's that for your "little human" complex!
Creek, BC was one of the best I've had. Some tight twisty terrain, folded mountains (some of the most extreme) and then opening in the valley floors whcih mellow into a nice gently downward twist. I was knocked out....... THEN CAME ...

Mount Edith Cavell, named for a WW1 nurse who saved many people and then paid the ultimate price via firing squad. Waht a wonderful place. 3 glaciers to watch. The rubble field which showed GREAT vegetive succession and a little lake with some growlers just for extra. Never have I gotten so much from a couple mile hike.

TODAY

laundry, showers then an appointment with the Columbia Icefield and a BIG truck to take us up and over.

Peace
Scott


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Veg gradient at CavellVeg gradient at Cavell
Veg gradient at Cavell

A classic study in rebound. The area to the left which is still mostly rock was covered in a glacier in the 1950's! YES, 1950's....
Rae adn I at Cavell LakeRae adn I at Cavell Lake
Rae adn I at Cavell Lake

Some Aussie dudes were diving in! The damn thing was melting right off of Angel!
Angel GlacierAngel Glacier
Angel Glacier

Wings to either side. The body in teh middle. Water cascading off the tail, good blues. One of three on the Mount. Had some pretty good dreamtime here.....


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb