Touring around the Rockies


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Jasper
August 25th 2008
Published: September 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We were lucky enough to have another visit from Mum this month. She was in Washington DC for a conference and decided that if she was that close to Canada she couldn't pass up another visit. Yay for us!

After an eventful flight and bus trip (including a police escort), mum arrived in Jasper on Saturday morning. Jay and I had to work that weekend, which gave mum an opportunity to get such much needed rest, and then we hired a car and took off to explore the Rockies for a few days. Driving down the Icefields Parkway was so much fun. We stopped at every available layby to soak in the surroundings, including Tangle Creek Falls, Peyto Lake, Num Ti Jah, Lake Louise, Morraine Lake and Banff.

Morraine Lake was probably the highlight of Day 1. We hired a canoe and explored the lake for an hour. Mum was able to rest comfortably in the middle while Jay and I did the paddling. The lake is beautiful and the most surreal colour blue - it almost feels as if you're floating. We were able to get up close to the peaks (Valley of the 10 peaks) and show mum the ones we're still thinking about climbing. Paddling across the lake is so peaceful and relaxing - mum was in 7th heaven!

We stayed in Canmore overnight and then headed into Banff the next day. We went up on the gondola, which gave us an amazing view over the Bow Valley and when we got down we lazed around in the Banff Hot Springs, soaking up the therapeutic minerals and staring at the mountains. On our way back into town for lunch, mum had her dearest wish come true - she found a mountie!! Mum has been wanting to see a mountie every since her first trip to Canada 7 years ago. Every trip she has been thwarted. But as we were parking up the car, we spotted him. Mum had leapt out of the car before we'd even stopped moving. And even without her walker, she was able to run him down and get her picture taken with him. She spent the rest of the day walking on a cloud!

Back to Jasper for a few days work (has to be done) and then another long weekend with mum before she headed back to Australia. This time we stayed local, visiting Edith Cavell and Morro Slabs (where we took mum climbing) and then to Maligne Lake (where we rented a row boat) and the Miette Hotsprings.

All in all, we had a fantastic trip - mum got to see a bit more of the Rockies, and so did we!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Jamie and IJamie and I
Jamie and I

Mt Rundell in the background


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb