Jasper NP - horses and laundry


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Jasper National Park
September 3rd 2008
Published: September 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Jasper campsiteThe Jasper campsiteThe Jasper campsite

Here's our full blown campsite with the tent, tarp, chairs, and car.
We’re off! It rained hard early this morning but we stayed nice and dry in the tent… so far it has held up very well. We got to camp around 7:30-8pm last night and set up the tent. I looked over to the next campsite and 3 large elk were wandering on through! We worked until about 9:30 getting the camp ready (rain tarp, got a fire going, etc.). The wood was supplied by the campground (no picking wood off the ground) and it sucked. The wood was very green and could not be lit due to the lack of tinder. Greg used the “scoutmaster helper” - white gas. We finally got settled in around 10 and finished off the leftover spaghetti. Our site is near the bathrooms which are very nice & clean. I couldn’t believe it! So far, a great experience.
We drove through the town of Jasper and checked out the local sights… the mountains and rivers are spectacular. Greg booked a 1hr horseback ride @ the pyramid riding stables. Before the ride we had lunch by Pyramid lake & we crossed a bridge to get to the small island in the middle of the lake. The
Pyramid LakePyramid LakePyramid Lake

These kinds of views are everywhere. Check out the cool reflections!
lake was so still, so serene… it was like looking at glass & very dark green in color. I tried to take a picture of the reflection of the trees but I don’t know if it worked or not. We started our ride at 1:30 and had 4 others in our group. My horse’s name was Buster and Greg’s was Plinko. Plinko liked to take the high road through tall grass so he could grab a few bites (which was not allowed). Buster liked to be nose to butt with the next horse in front of him. Greg had to keep working to keep Plinko under control the entire ride. Once we were done it just dumped rain… perfect timing! We were happy that we didn’t book the 2:30 ride J.
Later in the afternoon we enjoyed some time in the campsite and then went into town to do some laundry and shopping. There was a really nice native arts store that had a mix of PacNW and Iriquois art. We joked that we should get G’s dad another mask and give it to Sue and Gene for Christmas (it would not be very popular with Sue). Dinner was
Laura on the hoofLaura on the hoofLaura on the hoof

Here's Laura and her trusty steed Buster.
at Jasper brewing company where the taster tray was 6x6oz of beer… Greg was very happy. We got back to camp before dusk and worked again on the fire (again using the white gas to get everything going).


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Greg on the hoofGreg on the hoof
Greg on the hoof

Here's Greg and his not so trusty steed Plinko.
Athabasca riverAthabasca river
Athabasca river

Here's the Athabasca valley from our horse ride.
Jasper, ABJasper, AB
Jasper, AB

Here's the main street in downtown Jasper.


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.053s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb