The AlCan


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Grande Prairie
July 2nd 2010
Published: July 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We set off the AlCan Highway today! Yay! Rich and Nancy's brother, Martin, drove up it in 1976 when the highway was still dirt. Now it's paved and has gas stations along the way. We have been reading about the Klondike gold rush and the difficulties the prospectors had on the Edmonton trails to Dawson City. Of the thousands who went out, only a couple of dozen got there. It took them two years to make it, and not one of them was recorded to have found any gold. We looked at the type of forest they had to go through. No wonder! Now, a lot of forest around here is cleared and there are large farms with cattle, hay, and wheat.
We're looking forward to seeing our first moose. We didn't see one today. We stopped for the night at Saskatoon Provincial Park. I t was beautiful and peaceful. Did you know that a saskatoon is a bush that has sakatoon berries? We took a long walk to a lake in the park and saw lots of waterfowl. Nancy added two birds to her life list. We saw a family of trumpeter swans - cob, pen, and six cygnets. At about 10:30, Janet took a lovely photo of a sunset on a lake. It was a great first day!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.197s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.087s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb