Istanbul, Turkey


Advertisement
Middle East
July 17th 2009
Published: August 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

July 17: A Turkish Love Story


The Turkish formal event is one the Turkish people take VERY seriously. The day began somewhat lesiruely, but we must say THAT ended abruptly as we were both ushered to our respective preparation sites. Mark accompanied the men of the family barber (one that has managed the hair follicles of several generations of Sukan's) and Angel accompanied Tara, the bride and the Mothers of the soon-to-be wed to Tony and Guy for updo's, makeups, mani/pedi combos, etc. For any ladies who've had this experience here in the States, let me tell you "you ain't seen nothing until you've had your updo in Istanbul." American stylists are amateurs in comparison.

Straight razors for the guys at the barber shop and Tara's hair turned into a work of art at the salon, which, if the photos the stylists took of her hair upon completion are any indication, will grace the walls of the decadent salon as the "Hair of the Year."

All hell broke loose as the updo's took longer than expected and the Mother-of-Groom was still in rollers an hour before we were supposed to be at the reception (there was one guy doing all of the work with a swarm of worker bees assisting) and although we made it to the wedding, we were an hour late....oops!

No one missed the four of us, though (with maybe the exception of the Mother-of-the-Groom). As we arrived, we were escorted, literally, down the red carpet to a beautiful garden overlooking the Bosphorus for cocktails. We were then asked to take our dinner seats, so the cerermony could begin. And begin with a BANG, it did! Grand music and fireworks preceeded the entry of the bride and groom to the garden - and as they walked from the entranceway to the alter. The ceremony was about five and a half minutes long, at the end of which the civil judge asked, "Do you take this man" Honda proclaimed "Forever, YES!"

Kiss. First Dance. Raki. Shots. Dancing. Laughing. Shots. Raki. Dancing. Some things are the same no matter where you are. In the immortal words of MMH "shots are ALWAYS a good idea"....maybe that's never...hmm, I forget. That whole evening is a little fuzzy...

Seven courses, five straight hours of dancing and one late-night pizza later, we were home just in time to catch the sunrise. I think the pictures do this day more justice than we ever could in words. Enjoy!

P.S. One more for the V.C.'s out there - there appears to be a chiropractic shortage in Istanbul. I know a licensed Chiropractic Physician looking for work - globally mobile, qualified...anyone have seed money?


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Civil CeremonyCivil Ceremony
Civil Ceremony

"Forever, Yes!


Tot: 0.252s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb