Skip Higher


Advertisement
Published: May 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

SkipSkipSkip

What is it Skippy? Some men are up the side of a building? With a skip?
You know, one of the things I miss about England is seeing skips where they should be, i.e. on the ground. There are only two places skips should be, blocking your driveway so that you have to park half way down the road and your neighbours can surreptitiously fill it with old mattresses and 3 year old Christmas trees in the night, or badly secured on an overloaded skip wagon going down the A13 at 80 mph with the driver arguing with his wife on his mobile phone, oblivious to the shower of bricks and rubble that is flying off the back of his load of poorly concealed asbestos. If I were to ring up "AAA Skip Hire" on Canvey and ask for a skip to be delivered to the 6th floor I'd be called something that rhymes with "shaft blunt" and have the phone slammed down on me, and quite right too. A place for everything, and everything in it's place, that's what makes Britain Great.


The demolition work is going on next to our building. It's a fairly simple operation, the driver winches the big heavy weight up then lets it fall, smashing through the various floors. They have a "dust control" system which consists of a 3/4" hose running of to the top of the jib with water dribbling out. As far as I can make out all it really does is turn the dust on the floor 50 yards away into a kind of grinding paste.

I'm not going to bother to come up with a stupid pun for the misspelled puncture repair shop. Surely there must be the word "puncture" on a tin of glue or something, although they still fix tyres here with hairy brown string and evo stik which is fine, and by fine I mean a potential death trap.

Also, check out the sweet container handling skills, they never even dropped it once. I'm just thinking, two cranes, a couple of forklifts and a skip - we could take over the world!




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Demolition ManDemolition Man
Demolition Man

Smash the walls! Smash them, smite and rend them asunder! Destroy it all! It must ALL DIE! DIE I SAY DIE!
PuncherPuncher
Puncher

No comment
Container moveContainer move
Container move

Latest container handling technology.


7th June 2006

demolition man
Is that building being demolished the polaris building? anyone knows, i used to have a friend living there
8th June 2006

No
Abdul, it's not the Polaris building, it is next to it.

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0783s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb