Abu Dhabi Part 2


Advertisement
Published: March 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi again after a short time.....there was a hitch getting photos on the blog but that is fixed now. I'm back at Cate's, after my trip to Doha, with the use of her computer so I'll throw a few more photos on. Then I can clear my camera before heading off to Egypt tomorrow for the start of the next chapter. You might not hear from me for three weeks or so while "I'm on the road again....." (my theme song)!
To all the people who have sent messages...it is so cool to get them. Please don't think I'm ignoring you if I don't send a reply and keep them coming.
Lots of love
Dee



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Cate and Lorna Cate and Lorna
Cate and Lorna

Happy Birthday Cate!!!! We had a yummy morning tea from Mr Baker.
More cakes at Mr BakerMore cakes at Mr Baker
More cakes at Mr Baker

This place is next door to Cate's apartment and too easy to visit!
Pakistani bread being madePakistani bread being made
Pakistani bread being made

We ate it hot on the way home. You could get addicted to this stuff...Julie knows what I mean!
Furniture in the streetFurniture in the street
Furniture in the street

Nothing ever gets stolen here and it doesn't rain so if there's no room inside the shop they just store it on the footpath. Cate said this is normal and she'd seen this furniture here for a few days.
Cate's tailorCate's tailor
Cate's tailor

This little man makes clothes for Cate in his tiny shop for next to nothing. He's just made her a red cape.
Relaxing in Cate's loungeRelaxing in Cate's lounge
Relaxing in Cate's lounge

Meet Cate's friend Jonathon. I really like the seating.
Cate's schoolCate's school
Cate's school

It was great to go to school with Cate yesterday. It has about 800 pupils, 95% are local Abu Dhabi chilren.Their weekend is Thursday and Friday so everyone here loves Wednesday nights.
Cate and Pauline at schoolCate and Pauline at school
Cate and Pauline at school

As you can see the fashions for teachers are quite different here.
Another teacher called Mary at Cate's schoolAnother teacher called Mary at Cate's school
Another teacher called Mary at Cate's school

You can see cate in the background. These people really go all out with their dress.
The boys in Cate's classThe boys in Cate's class
The boys in Cate's class

OK, so today is book day at school!
The girls in the classThe girls in the class
The girls in the class

Little princesses
Kids are the same everywhere!Kids are the same everywhere!
Kids are the same everywhere!

They have all the same stories and book characters as we have.
Photo sessionPhoto session
Photo session

All the Mums and Dads came to school to see their kids and their was such excitement.
This is in the school foyerThis is in the school foyer
This is in the school foyer

These photos appear all over town. They are Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan al-Nahyan and his son. They are the ruling family and are well loved here because they have looked after the people of the emirate so well and are humble people.
The butcher shopThe butcher shop
The butcher shop

This is back in Doha. You tell the butcher which bit you want and he cuts it off. He can tell which country each sheep came from. One of these is from Australia but no NZ lamb today.
Need your car fixed?Need your car fixed?
Need your car fixed?

This is a row of little mechanic shops all the size of a single garage. It is typical here that there will be a whole cluster of the same sort of shops together whether it be fabrics, fruit, or whatever that they are selling. This is next door to Martin's apartment in Doha.


9th March 2006

Great Photos
Great photos Dee. I feel like I've done the trip myself - without the expense!! Interesting shot of the Bedouin tent. It looked like it was inside a building. Was it part of a display - or did the owner just yearn for the old days? By the way, with you being away, I've taken your spot at Business House Golf tonight, 10 March. I just hope I don't have as much hassle as you do in getting a shot accepted. Then tomorrow some of us (Big Boi, Goose, Chopper, Rory, Gordo, Hector, Blobby, Muzza) are off on an exciting trip to strange places too. We're off to the Cossie Club Nationals in exotic Pahiatua, of all places!! Hangovers guaranteed. Safe travel. PP.
13th March 2006

Not long now..
Hey Dee - loved your Abu Dabai experience, especially the oasis. And we've started counting down, only 26 more sleeps. Seeya soon xx
19th March 2006

Hey teacher lady
cool -cool pix - they tell all of the story !!

Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0786s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb