Topkapi, Archeological and Ceramic Museum


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey
September 13th 2013
Published: July 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 41.0067, 28.9816

Yesterday we purchased 72 hour museum passes so museums are our destinations for today and tomorrow. We visited Topkapi Palace which was quite amazing in size and complexity. It was the primary residence for Ottoman Sultans for about 400 years (1485-1856) and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It has 4 main courtyards and was at one time home to 4,000 people. The layout was established by Sultan Mehmed II and the highest point was used for his private quarters. At the time it included a long shoreline. The Palace acquired its current layout at the end of the 16th century. The southern and western sides border the large former imperial flower garden which is now the Gulhane Park. To the south and the east is the Sea of Marmara. At the shoreline was an area called the Fifth Palace but no longer exists due to development of the shoreline. We then visited the archeological and ceramic museums which are included in the Topkapi grounds.

This area of the world is often referred to as the birthplace of civilization and attempts are on going to discover the remains of civilization dating back to the 8th century BC. The museums are excellent and the display labels usually have English wording available.


Additional photos below
Photos: 71, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



13th September 2013

Oh, it looks soooooo beautiful there. Happy travels.

Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb