Blue tiles and horses... beloved by Ottomans... caciques on the sea.


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey
October 6th 2014
Published: October 11th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Our hotel has a longer tub than I've ever soaked in but no soaking today. A slow bus ride to Topkapi palace built by Mehmet I I and home to sultans. The sultanate lasted 700 years and there were 36 sultans. We spent most of the day here with a break for lunch in the museum cafeteria. Everyone's favorite is the harem (hareem) with blue Iznik tiles, river stone cobbled paths, divans and stained glass designs that mirror those of the tiles. Here is Maury at the entrance to every man's fantasy.
The horse was central to the expanse of the Ottoman empire. As Suleiman the magnificent said: "Night and day our horse is saddled and our saber is girt." This photo of golden armour for the horse's face is called a chanfron. Amazing ceremonial weapons...wicker shields, blown glass maces, bejewelled daggers.

In the afternoon, a cruise on the Bosporus... a skyline like no other! The bowl of pomegranates was on the lower deck.

Later we enjoyed a traditional Turkish meal with our group.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb